sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a Galaxy 2003 Diesel. When I start it it fires and then

I have a Galaxy 2003 Diesel. When I start it it fires and then stops.It did this 2 months ago and local garage repaired it now it is doing exactly the same thing. What is the cause and the cure
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Will the engine not continue to run at all even if you rev it? Do you not know what the garage did last time? What dopes the red immobiliser LED in the door do when you turn the ignition on and leave it switched on?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The LED in door flashes when ignition is turned on and left on.The engine cuts out as soon as you try to rev it and also if you don't. Before when it happened the garage fixed a blocked valve/filter at back of the engine low down cost over £350.quid.

Can try and get more detail tomorrow. Thanks.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

if the LED in the door flashes fast when the ignition is turned on the immobiliser is remaining active, this is why the engine starts then cuts out again.

The immobiliser is usually quite reliable and doesn't give too many concerns, the most common problem with it is when the remote key fob battery is replaced, if not done carefully when the remote part of the key is removed from the key blade the immobiliser transponder can fall out, if this happens and it's not noticed then when you try to start the engine the immobiliser won't disarm.

Check that the LED is flashing whenever you turn the ignition on, working correctly it should come on for 3 seconds then go off, if it flashes fast it will do so for a minute then start to flash a code, the code will be long and short flashes, a long flash is tens, short flashes are units so a long flash followed by 6 short flashes would be 16. These codes assist in diagnosing where the fault with the immobiliser is.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,is the transponder a small oblong plastic bit. This fell out when I tried to replace the battery as you suggest. Can I replace this and cure the problem myself?

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

yes it is the small plastic oblong part that sits in the key blade, if you have it then just place it back into the key blade, you should be able to see where it has been then refit the fob section back over it. The transponder sits on the side of the key at about 45 degrees not flat on the bottom.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Below is an image showing where the transponder fits, you should be ableto see it at the bottom of the key.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Regards,

Sean.