sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi, I was mid way in asking a question when my computer crashed

Hi, I was mid way in asking a question when my computer crashed ? so am trying again.

I have a 2006 lwb hi top Mk6 with the 2.4 tdci engine. its a 135 350 with the 140bhp engine. I am converting this to a camper and would like to know if it is possible / practical to detune the engine the make it more flexible/economical for use as a camper.

Its very powerful in its present state of tune but not very economical and 1st. gear is virtually useless, too fierce, have to use 2nd. to get a smooth pull away.

Any suggestions / advice would be welcomed. Thanks. Ken.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

Before considering the power output alteration I would see what the vehicle drives like when fully converted as a weight difference will obviously affect the performance of the vehicle. With too little power you would need to drive the vehicle harder to obtain good performance which will obviously result in increased fuel consumption. A 350 Transit is obviously geared to carry heavy loads and detuning the engine won't have any affect on the gear ratios, first gear will still be the same as it was designed to set off with a heavy load without destroying the clutch.

To lower the power output depends on if the Transit is a 2000 to 2006 shape or a 2006 onwards shape, if it is the later shape then a 115PS calibration in the PCM will be OK, if it is the earlier model then you would need to see if a specialist diesel firm could alter the calibration rather than Ford as the earlier 135PS is the only 2.4 TDCi, the other TDCi engines were 2.0 and the earlier 2.4 were TDDi.

You could try an aftermarket fuel saving device, most of these now just plug into the vehicle but have varying claims for fuel savings, an example is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Nugget-TDCI-Diesel-Economy-Tuning-Chip-Fuel-Saver-Box-Remap-/260566639295?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caafb62bf#vi-ilComp

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.