sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi I have a 2005 Transit the central locking system has a problem

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 Transit the central locking system has a problem when I press the fob i can here all the motors working but all the doors unlock within 5 seconds of locking. I have made sure all the doors are closed,cleaned the side door contact and replaced the door contact on the drivers door.I still does the same anything else i can try.Thanks Paul.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

As the doors are unlocking again straight away but you say all the motors are operating including the side and rear doors then this suggests that a door ajar circuit has failed so the central locking control module detects a door as open even though it isn't.

The most common doors to give problems are the side and rear doors, the side door tends to have alignment concerns as the middle roller collapses which means the contact pins don't align correctly. The driver's rear door suffers with wiring problems where the wire in the door bets damaged by the constant opening and closing of the door, if the ajar circuit breaks then this will show the rear door as open.

Unfortunately without Ford IDS you can't easily confirm which door is been detected as open, it can be more difficult as well as the rear door wiring becomes all black where it goes to the door as a security measure.

All the ajar switches are integral to the latches apart from the sliding door so you can disconnect the connectors and check the door latch ajar circuit operation, pin 8&6 on the rear door, pins 8&6 on both front doors. The sliding door switch should have only 2 wires to it.

Try putting the side lights on with the ignition off and leave the driver's door open, if the buzzer doesn't sound this would suggest the driver's door is at fault. The buzzer doesn't work from the other doors.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean ref Transit central locking have tried yr tips but the problem is still the same. The buzzer sounds when the lights are on with the drivers door open.with the wires disconnected on the rear door the motor wont run but the fault is the same.Anything else i can try.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
as the lights on buzzer works you can disregard the driver's door as long as it stops when you shut the door. I don't mean just disconnect the connectors to the motors, you need to check continuity between the pins for the ajar switch on the motor, check with the latch open and closed, use a screwdriver to close the latch with the door open. The central locking is detecting an earth for the door ajar so if you just disconnect the connector it is open circuit the same as the door open.
I hope this clarifies things, let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean, thanks for the extra info re Transit door locks is it ok if i check this on mon as it started to rain hard.Thanks Paul.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I'll keep an eye out for your reply and answer ASAP if you need more help.
Regards,
Sean.