sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Ive got a*****whilst driving Engine system fault

Customer Question

I've got a*****whilst driving 'Engine system fault' & 'acceleration reduced'
Comes up on the dashboard followed by total loss of throttle response but the engine is
Still running. Rev counter & temp gauge drop to zero. After turning the engine off it takes
Quite a long time and many attempts for the engine to start again.
Often it won't start from cold with various combinations of the warning messages/lights showing. 'Steering assist fail' had recently started to come up as well. Computer diagnostics have shown no faults! After reading advice on various forums, have had a new battery put on, but still the same. HELP!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

From the description you've given this will be due to an internal fault with the instrument cluster.

The instrument cluster on the Focus is a control module and also a gateway for the different speed networks on the car. The throttle pedal signals go through the cluster to the engine management control module, when the signal is lost due to the cluster fault the engine returns to idle and the warning message is displayed.

All the warning messages appear as the various signals are interrupted by the cluster fault. Any replacement cluster needs to be programmed to the car as it is a control module and the immobiliser system needs to be reprogrammed as the cluster is part of the immobiliser system.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.