sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Mondeo 2007 2L TDCI Ghia. Low beam warning pings almost every

Mondeo 2007 2L TDCI Ghia. Low beam warning pings almost every time turning steering. At the ping LH Low beam is out - but comes on again in a few seconds. Have taken headlamp unit out and eye balled it - and nothing obvious (to me) and I changed both low low beam bulbs, taking care to fit properly. Within a day problem came back again. If faulty connection, where is it likely to be? (if it works sometimes then fuse should be ok I guess, is there a sensor - where is it, and what is it, and can I fix or replace it? Does computer diagnosis explain why this happens?? Any other ideas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
From the description you've given this is a 2007 on model, is this correct? Do you mean a warning message appears in the dash when you say it pings?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - Yes, I hear the ping and the warning message appears on the screen behind steering wheel. As for year model - that is real tricky as it was also the end of a range and the start of a new range at the end of 2007. I can provide more info if you want about that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the meantime I am getting a message on this site that says "This email address was used to register another member." Does that mean I am being blocked from using the service. I may have used the service a long time ago but have no record of user name or password ***** that time. Ian

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

what does the message say in the display? Does the car have xenon lights (HID) do you have the chassis number?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

message says " LOW BEAM BULB FAULT". The chassis number is "WFOEXXGBBE7M55446" It is, and still is a Spanish registered car and was first released from Ford Espana - by "ALMUSAFES in Valencia" on the date 23 Nov 2007. If it helps the version type is noted as "5FCBPS" ( with another reference also given of " e13*2001/116*0249*02 ". ).

Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry - forgot - car has NO zenon lights

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
this is a later 2007 onwards model Mondeo. With regard to the headlamp fault check to see if the car is fitted with cornering lamps, it shows on Ford's system as equipped with advanced front lighting system which I suspect refers to the adaptive front lights (not xenon)if it does have these lights then it will have cornering lamps. The cornering lights use a standard headlamp bulb and this lights when the steering is turned at low speeds. Check these work as it may be these lights the system is detecting especially as the fault happens as you turn the wheel.
Usually the bulbs don't give many problems as long as the connector and bulb are correctly engaged also make sure the light connector is secure as I've seen many connectors damaged where people have tried to disconnect them without releasing the locking clip.
Start with these points, let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello - yes and thanks for telling me the model year. And yes it does have cornering lamps. When I switch on the 'lights' the system swings the beam lights rapidly once at switch on, as if to check or 'centre' the system. It is now late and I will contact you tomorrow when I have a chance to open up both the headlight units again, and especially check all bulb insertions and fixings. Thanks Ian

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

make sure you check the cornering light operation, the bulb

are at 5 in the diagram below.

graphic

Regards,

Sean.