Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Mondeo Turbo / actuator issue

Customer Question

I bought a ford mondeo tdci a few weeks ago from a motor dealer and since then i have had several problems with it.Since I purchased the vehicle on the 31st May, I have had to return the vehicle to have faults remedied. I advised them on Sunday 1st June that the vehicle was smoking, giving the opportunity to take the vehicle back, I was advised that this may be as a result of the injectors being changed and to monitor it. On Monday 2nd June I advised that there was oil leaking around the engine bay, and it continued to smoke. They took the car back to look at it. They replaced the injectors gaskets and recleaned the engine bay and also freed up the EGR valve. On Sunday 8th June the car went into safe mode with the glow plug warning light coming on, again still smoking. At this time I asked for a refund as the car clearly had problems and I wasn’t happy. I was advised that they had 3 attempts to fix the same problem before I was entitled to a refund. The car was returned to them on 9th June. I was advised that a hose was split between the EGR and the turbo. Which was replaced. The car continued to smoke and on Saturday 14th June I got in it to drive less than a mile and it went straight into safe mode, again the Glow plug warning light coming on. It struggled to accelerate and I pulled over to restart to see if that would clear the problem. This didn’t work and the warning stayed on. I parked the car as did not consider it safe to drive and advised them of the issue as well as the continued smoke, whistling/sucking noise on acceleration and an issue with the alarm not deactivating when the car was unlocked. I returned the car this week. Initially they were unable to locate the fault especially as they had said the diagnostics gave a list of options it could have been. I am not a mechanic, but I part exchanged an identical make of car, albeit older with higher mileage, with the same engine, so I know how it is supposed to drive and behave. I was advised they took the car to a specialist who confirmed the electronic turbo actuator is faulty. They have ordered this part and plan to replace it. Getting advise the actuator shouldn't be replaced on it's own but the whole turbo unit needs replacing, and this is what ford recommend and indeed they do not sell the individual item. The garage have refused to replace the whole unit saying they only replace parts know to be broken. I have stated the turbo comes as one unit. I am concerned the turbo has been damaged and the trader is pulling a fast one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Category: Ford
Expert:  stelol1 replied 2 years ago.

stelol1 :

stelol1 :

I am sorry that you are experiencing these issues and seem to be being messed around. This is the type of incident that gives the industry a bad name.

stelol1 :

I am not going to try and solve your issue as I don't believe there is anything I can help with other that suggest that you contact your local trading standards office for advice. They are a local authority service that has legal experts that will take the complaint on your behalf.

stelol1 :

Once again sorry that I can not help technically but I think professional legal advice would be best in this instance.

stelol1 :

stelol1 :

Steve

JACUSTOMER-0bmu9xii- :

Thanks for the comment and I note your advice. I will contact them if i cannot get the issue resolved to my satisfaction. Unfortunately i am after technical advice now.

stelol1 :

No problem. Best of look.

stelol1 :

Steve

JACUSTOMER-0bmu9xii- :

can you make the question open to other experts please, as i need a technical answer

stelol1 :

I Just have. Thanks