sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi I have a transit 350 mwb td 2402cc 2002. No power and will

Hi I have a transit 350 mwb td 2402cc 2002. No power and will not go above 60mph on the flat going up hill is a joke. I have replaced the solenoid on the back of pump,pump seams quite new, changed fuel filter air filter. Taken chain off and refitted timing correct. turbo seems to be working I can hear it.Checked egr valve its working and I have blanked it off. There are no lights on dash and I have checked codes none present starts first turn on key I don't know what else to do please help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
From the description you've given you need to check the quality of the fuel. Either remove the fuel filter and drain it into a clean jar, allow the fuel to settle or run the engine with the return to the filter from the pump into a jar (blank the filter to stop air) and check this.
Any signs of metallic particles would indicate the pump starting to fail.
The description you've given is exactly the same as the symptoms when the mechanical parts of the pump start to fail. The debris from the pump contaminates the fuel system as it goes into the return pipe so back into the filter and fuel tank allowing it to enter the engine again. The debris contaminates the injectors so they can't deliver fuel correctly.
If this is the case then unfortunately the fuel system needs to be renewed, pump, injectors, filter and all the lines. The tank will also need to be removed and cleaned thoroughly.
No fault codes are stored in the PCM for this concern as the failure is mechanical, the injectors are mechanical operation as well on the TDDi engine.
This was a very common concern on this model so much so that Ford issued a bulletin to dealers regarding this and the repair procedure as if the system isn't repaired correctly then a repeat failure will occur.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I fitted new fuel filter knocking the old one to see if any metal bits came out the fuel is clean

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
yes I know you fitted a new filter but you need to check the quality of the fuel as described above, the fuel must be allowed to settle, the particles are very small you won't get "lumps" falling from the filter, bear in mind anything larger than 5 microns can damage the injectors on a Di, this gives you an idea of the size of particles you are looking for, it's only when the fuel settles the total amount can be seen. As I said earlier this is a perfect example of fuel contamination. Also if possible try running the engine on a separate fuel supply straight into the filter and see if this makes a difference. This will at least eliminate a blockage from the tank.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again I have drained fuel in to jar and left it could not see anything in it, am going to sieve through paper towel to see if that shows anything. Is there anything else it could be before I replace pump as its more than the vans worth.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
you can have the injectors tested to make sure the spray pattern and delivered quantity is correct, if there is a fault on all the injectors then again be suspicious of the pump.
also as I mentioned before, try running the engine on a different fuel supply to eliminate fuel starvation.
Best wishes,
Sean.