sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hullo, I have a ford kuga 2.0 tdi 163 registered in March 11

Hullo, I have a ford kuga 2.0 tdi 163 registered in March 11 which I purchased 3 weeks ago. There is a distinct fan noise which seems to run with engine speed and is over and above normal engine noise. The noise is highly irritating although ford engineers found no fault. Is this normal?

Many thanks, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
On this model I'm not aware of any complaints of excess noise without there been an actual fault. The cooling fan will operate at low speed when the air conditioning is on but this is barely noticeable above the engine noise. If the DPF is in or just finished a regeneration phase you will hear the cooling fan run at high speed as it cools the engine back down from the high temperature required for DPF regeneration.
Neither of the above will vary with engine speed.
If the noise is varying with engine speed and is excessive then the first checks should be the alternator drive belt and associated pulleys.
You mention the Ford technician found no fault but unless you demonstrated the noise they may not have heard it, as I said earlier I'm not aware of any customer complaints with regard to engine noise on this model without there been an actual fault.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer, sounds sensible. Could it be the turbo? The ford engineers said they tightened the belts. Could it be a normal running noise with the car, thanks, Sean.

***** *****ndsay

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
a turbo noise would alter along with engine speed but I would expect a Ford technician to notice an excessively noisy turbo however given that the Ford people said they tightened the belt when it has an automatic belt tensioner makes me suspicious.
You say about it been a normal running noise but since the Kuga was launched I've not heard any complaints about noises other than where there has been a fault, it's not like some models where the engine is noisy but you find all the same models make this noise, as I said I've never heard this with regard to the Kuga.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.