Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have recently started having problems with my Ford Maverick

I have recently started having problems with my Ford Maverick 2001 V6 Auto when trying to start the engine. It only happens occasionally but when I turn the key to start the ignition, I get absolutely no response. The radio comes on and it seems to fire up the electrics but absolutely no life from the engine. Any ideas of what this could be, as I need to get this sorted.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

There are two common issues on these vehicles one being the starter solenoid starts to short and cause this issue to happen, in this case the starter is to be replaced. There is no traditional clicking noise on these vehicles when the starter is going bad.
The other issue on these vehicles is the ignition switch shorts and does not send a signal to the starter to spin the motor over.

The starter can be tested but needs to be removed first.

The starter is the more likely culprit.
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You say the starter is more likely the culprit, however, if it is the case that the ignition switch shorts, is it the same solution? Will I have to change the starter or is it a different solution all together?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You say that the starter is more likely to be the culprit, however, if it is the case that the ignition switch shorts, is it the same solution? Will I have to change the starter or is it a different solution all together?

If the starter test good than the starter will not need to be changed just the ignition switch which is located in the steering column.