Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

S-max 2.0 TDi Intermittent engine not starting. Occuring

Customer Question

S-max 2.0 TDi Intermittent engine not starting.
Occuring for 2 weeks when hot and cold. Happens 1 in 5-10 starts. Turns over but doesn't fire; has started eventually (to date). No fault codes on dash or in ecu- per sods law did not do when in garage. Wont keep turning over for full 25s mentioned in the manual, cuts out after c.7secs. No glow plug light seen. Only other thing I have noticed is the snowflake dash light turns to amber after 2s on dash though I may have just not been looking at it previously. Trust eroding as wifes car!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there , , good morning to you ,sorry for the delayed response your question seemed to have by passed me

Ok From your description of your issue eg intermitent crank /no fire situation
The fault will lie with a sticking intake air shut off valve (quite common on this 2.0tdci engine )
This is also known as a throttle body (this is bolted to the inlet manifold by 3x40mm torx bolts )

The issues we see are exactly what you describe

Basically there is a butterfly flap located inside this housing
This valve is used to stop engine run on

When you switch the engine off a vacuum is applied to the butterfly flap to stop any air being drawn into the engine this preventing run on

After around 10 seconds the vacuum will disperse and the flap will flick back open ready for The next start up

What happens is the butterfly flap sticks in The closed position caused mostly from carbon build up and doesnt flick back open
Meaning the next time you go to start the vehicle it will crank and not fire(as no air is getting into the engine )
untill this flap frees off usally after several attempts of cranking the vibrations free it off And the vehicle starts

The PCM will disable /stop the engine cranking after several attempts this is a safety feature to stop starter overheating and to stop excessive cranking over

The snowflake is controlled by the outside air temp sensor if it is amber then it is seeing an outside air temp of under 4 degrees but above freezing
This could be a outside temp sensor issue but would require further investigation if it is there when driving the vehicle

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards in advance and have a nice day

Brian

Hi there ,good evening to you

How did you get in with our starting issue

Regards in advance

Brian