Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

heater blower does not work

Customer Question

heater blower does not work
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you

What happens when you select speed 4 does the blower motor work

Or is it inoperative on all speeds

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already told you "With the ignition on and the fan selected in each speed in turn I have applied a direct battery feed to the fuse with no response on fan"

Hi there thanks ***** have the wiring diagram with me to work through with you so we can start from the top
Ok we know the fan blower itself works so this can be ruled out

1 - is there battery voltage at both sides of fuse 64 (30amp) with ignition on (battery junction box )

2 - is there battery voltage at blower motor multiplug pin 1 (green and orange wire ) to ground
As this is powered constantly with ignition on
I would check for voltage at pin 1 with multiplug connected so the wire is working under load

Regards ***** *****

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will check it out in the morning

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you confirm that fuse 64 is next to fuse 65 (aircon Fan)

Hi there

Yes it is next to fuse 65

It should be a 30 amp (green fuse with battery voltage at both sides with ignition on

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

with the ignition on there is no power to either side of fuse or red/black feed at blower

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got it wrong, I connected the earth side of the blower to the neg battery terminal and a link between green and orange to the other side and it works...what next please.........further information I have tested from plug 98AG -18B604 BE and found a switchable neg feed on lead coloured brown/black on the 8 pin plug...in the glove compartment

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NEXT PLEASE

Hi there sorry for the delay

Ok do you have a12 volt feed at the green and orange wire to a known good earth ie - negative terminal at the blower motor this should be a constant 12 volt feed with the ignition on

The blower motor system is one of the simpler systems

The blower motor has a constant feed at pin 1 and has a variable earth on the pin2 black and red wire

If you select speed 4 you should get 12 volts across the blower motor

If you aren't getting this reading then we must figure out what side the fault lies with this I asked if you are getting a constant 12 volts at pin1 if you are the fault lies on the earthing side

Most commonly a faulty blower motor switch (part of panel )

If you are getting 12 bolts the next test would be to test the earth from the switch/panel at speed 4
The earth comes into the switch at pin 2 (black wire )
The 3 lower speeds are controlled through the blower resistor but speed 4 sends an earth straight to the blower motor for top speed )
The earth at speed 4 leaves the blower switch at pin 6 directly to the blower motor

Regards in advance

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no instructions how to get to the back of the switch

Hi there

Ok so do we have 12 volts at the blower motor

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing personal, I wasnt impressed with the service at all. I have since fitted a polar on / off switch for the earth line and run it at a constant speed when required

Hi there ,good evening to you

No worries no offence took

I did however ask you several times if you had 12 bolts at pin 1 of the blower motor as I suspected you were going to deep ie loading wires to power fuses
I explained exactly how the system worked to the exact pin numbers and wiring colours and was going to take you through a basic 3-4 checks but needed to verify if the power side was ok as it is as we know now the switch panel which is the issue

Iam sorry for any inconvenive caused by my advice but sometimes online it can be a bit back and forth to gain the correct information

Regards in advance

Brian