Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

*****@******.*** 2008 ford kuga 2.0 tdci

Customer Question

*****@******.*** 2008 ford kuga 2.0 tdci engine code G6DB NON START - TOWED IN BY AA. scan code P0090 : FUEL PRESS REGULATOR CONTROL CIRCUIT - no change in the signal - this is detail give by snapon modis ultra. Live data shows no fuel pressure (or very very little) Have checked wiring diagram (using AUTODATA) for a FOCUS with same engine code. From what I can make out we have got a 5v circuit on the 3 wire (B186) "Rail pressure sensor" we have a 12v supply to the big solenoid on the main pump and (I think) a suitable ground switched pcm driver signal (duty cycled) to operate it. I am confused to know what is the difference between the (Y194) "fuel flow control valve" AND the (Y63) "fuel pressure regulator control solenoid" How do these three items relate. Is there a common problem/known fix. The car cranks over fine. Won't fire. It is definitely well overdue a service (air filter filthy etc). Owner noticed a slight poor start a week or two ago. Stalled and would not restart after 50 mls journey. It had been idling a several minutes before that. Service light on. any ideas welcome. jamie

ps. I have 2.4ohms on big solenoid (Y63?)

Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jamie,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yep thanks for getting back to me...I think ive sussed it.

I like to check that the signal for the suspect part is still good. i.e. the ecu driver is still good. I wasn't sure why the fuel pressure was zero. but it wasn't lack of fuel as we bypassed the supply and still no go. Fault code p0090 pointed to fuel pressure control circuit. Couldn't find a wiring diagram for the KUGA on autodata but found the exact engine match on a Focus and that had diagrams. wire colours matched etc. Of all the sensors and actuators on that circuit I went for the three main ones that would cause a non start.

A. 3 wire pressure sensor on rail 5v - yes, earth, yes, didn't check signal.

B. 2 wire solenoid on top of pump. Ohms good 2.4, signal when cranking....well some sort of earth switched duty cycle going on, power 12v supply good
(ignition on)

Thats where I was when I contacted you.

At this point I thought I could get scope feed and check wiring continuaty by access ECU. In a plastic box behind the NS headlight. This is fully sealed and rivoted together, looks like you have to break it to open it.

Decided to check out the final solenoid (C) which meant removing battery and airbox etc.

this solenoid is at such an angle I made up a loom to check resistance - good.. 2.1ohms (all this data is available on Autodata - as a Focus)

Just about to set up to check the power and signal when LO AND BEHOLD!! broken wire.......

Will keep you posted if I haven't bored you yet. Jamie

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Jamie..

My name is MIKE.. Welcome. Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question... personally I have had to be off for the last few days so have only just seen your question..

I have read all through what you have done etc so far... and to the point of the broken wire.. Of course if thats a wire on the relevant circuit - there in lies your fault... ie, repairing that will have this sussed for you -

Let me know though how you are getting on - Im always happy to help further if needed.

Best Rgds, MIKE..