sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I bought another ford mondeo in November last year as my previous

I bought another ford mondeo in November last year as my previous one which was a 57plate had a fault on it but only when I had my caravan on it. I would get engine malfunction light and the car would go into limp mode. This would only happen after about 70 mile. I now have the same model car 2ltr titanium x on 2011 plate first time out with caravan and got same problem. Only thing is it happend after a couple of miles on the motorway. I also got the abs light on. The car is superb without the van on. What should I do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
Firstly I would recommend any tow bat fitted to the Mondeo is either factory installed or a genuine Ford towbar with a genuine wiring kit for installation. The reason for this is that when a towbar is fitted the central car configuration in the body control module needs to be modified to account for the towbar and trailer module added to the vehicle network. Without a genuine Ford part I've seen many electrical concerns on the Mondeo due to towbar wiring.
The ABS light shouldn't illuminate unless there is a fault on the ABS but if an engine management fault is detected then it is normal for the ESP light to illuminate as part of ESP operation is engine management intervention.
If the car has a genuine Ford towbar and wiring then a diagnostic scan needs to be carried out on the engine management to retrieve any stored fault codes and act on these.
It is possible that the extra load on the engine could cause fuel pressure problems, if this is the case a fault code will be stored in the PCM.
Start with the points mentioned above, let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean

sorry it was the esp light not abs. The tow bar was fitted by the same company on both cars. I will check with them to find out if genuine ford parts have been used tomorrow, if they did not use ford parts is there a solution without major cost

.

Regards Frank

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
the ESP light is coming on due to the engine management concern, as I said earlier it may be the extra load on the engine that is causing a fuel pressure fault (there are other possibilities) so after checking with the towbar company get the codes stored in the engine management.
With non genuine Ford towbars there should still be a control module that is CAN BUS safe so check with them about this and if not then it needs fitting. The other option is to keep the towbar that is fitted but fit a genuine Ford electrical kit and have the body module programmed.
The main thing first is to determine if it is an engine management fault or is related to the towbar, remember when towing there is a much greater load on the engine.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sean

how do I get the codes stored in the engine management, if I have new ford wiring fitted can only ford program the body module.

Regards Frank

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
yes the body control module would need to be done by Ford, there may be independent garages equipped to do this near to you but you would need to check to make sure they had the correct equipment.
To obtain the codes needs a diagnostic scan tool, all garages can do this so the cost is minimal or if you want to do this on a DIY basis you can buy a suitable to for about £40 on the internet.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks sean

Don't suppose you have any idea of the charges from Fords for programing the body module.

Regards Frank

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
It takes no more than half an hour to download the configuration into Ford IDS modify it and upload back into the car. Obviously the cost will depend on how much your local dealer charges per hour but I would imagine they would charge about £80.
Let me know if I can help further.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much sean for your advice.

Regards Frank

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
No problem,
best wishes,
Sean.