Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a mondeo mk3. 2 weeks ago it brokedown at the side of

Customer Question

I have a mondeo mk3. 2 weeks ago it brokedown at the side of the road I look and could see that the starter motor had broke (the end plate had come apart) I changed it and also found that the earth from battery to the engine block had melted and the bolt by at the end of the glow plug lead had broke. I changed all these cables and everything was fine apart from some morning I would have to jump start the car. last week I changed the clutch and now the car wont start. it will turn over but I get smoke from the new starter and also its burnt out the earth again. F8 fuse has blown and the nut in the middle of the fuse box is live (I thought It was ment to be earth) any help would be great

Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other
This is for a different car that I have not asked question on before
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd 1st check that the ring gear on the starter is is good condition with no burred edges or damaged teeth as it sounds like the starter is pulling far more current than it should

also check if the engine will turn over by hand ( using the nut an on the end of the crankshaft and a ratchet)

also check that the other smaller earth leads joining the engine / gearbox to the chassis are in good condtion and tight

if thats all OK thenI'd sugges tdoing a compression test on all cylinder to double check that the cam timing is OK