Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Ford Transit 280 model year 06, door locking problems

Ford Transit 280 model year 06, door locking problems, turn key once in driver door, front door opens fine, turn key twice rear doors used to open. Now turn key twice all doors open and then rear and front doors lock within couple of seconds, any ideas, Thanks Peter XXXXXXXXX

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise you.

With this issue that you have Peter - its quite a common issue but with different causes.

It is going to need either physical checking through to trace / find and cure the cause of the fault -or, you can have a Ford or other garage with correct plug in test equipment, plug in to the OBD socket on the van - which quickly will tell you where on the van the cause of the issue is... taking you straight to it. Of course that will cost whatever they charge for the test - but it does save a lot of time.

Should you wish to check it through manually Peter - I can tell you the common causes of what you have there. Generally and most commonly, this is a break / chaffing of the wiring loom - at the rear doors.. you need to check the vans wiring where it goes from the van body to the back doors - checking carefully for such issues. The other place this happens commonly is one or the other of the front doors..where the wires go from the body through to the doors - you need to check in the tubing there , if its not the back area as above...

If its not as above, then its usually a sticking door lock / latch. Often its the drivers door - but it can be any.. again, it takes physical checking To explain, what happens is , with the chaffing of the wiring, its causing a short - so sends the CDL signals haywire and you get what you have. With the sticking lock issue, what happens is, the lock does not fully actuate , unbeknown to you - and then it flicks over inside the door -and sends the locking awry...

So it wil be one or the other as above Peter - its a case of which way you want to go about tracing it down. I would say though that its easy enough to check the wiring as above to the rear doors - so I would say to do that first - then go from there as / if needed to get this sorted for you..

If there is anything more you need on this or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert