Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi, I have a 55 reg (06) for focus 1.6l petrol with the vvt

I have a 55 reg (06) for focus 1.6l petrol with the vvt engine.
For some time now it seems to be very low on power especially on hills and sounds "tapety" on idle. It has the engine management light on, this has been scanned a couple of times and the code read: P000A (IATS open or short circuit) on one scanner and P000A (slow response from a cam position sensor) on another scanner.
I have replaced the MAF which I believe has the IAT sensor in it with a genuine ford part but the problem still remains.
Could you give me any further clues on what to look for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok the fault code P000A (camshaft position slow response )

There is a few issues which can cause this code and issue :

Poor oil quality / Poor oil pressure.
Incorrect cam timing.
Faulty VCT oil solenoid.
Faulty CMP sensor.
Faulty VCT unit

I have only personally seen this code appear once in my dealership and it was down to someone fitting a timing belt and not locking the VCT units correctly as you require a special tool to set these

Oil quality and oil pressure also play a big part in the VCT operation

Using Fords ids software allows the technician can monitor the camshaft signal and VCT operation to clarify the correct operation

As I mentioned the vehicle I had with this code and lack of power had the timing of the VCT units set wrong even though the engine timing was correct

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for the response,

The car has approximately 70,000 miles and as of yet the timing belt has not been touched. is it possible that the belt would have slipped? can the VCT solenoids, CMP sensors or VCT units be tested to confirm a fault?

Hi there ,

Ok in our dealership we use the ford ids software to monitor the VCT system operation and osilliscopes to scope the Cam sensor signals there is no real tests as such as the PCM /ECU controls the VCT oil solenoids which in turn control the oil flow to the VCT units thus the live datalogger is used to vids usally monitor the VCT operation

Obivous things you can do are ie oil change (use an oil flush before carrying this out as this cleans the internsl components if the engine ) then replace the oil filter as a process of elimination
The timing would be checked and the VCT signals monitored using the ids software

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry for the delay and thanks for your response.

I know that it's hard to tell but roughly how long should this diagnosis take at a Ford dealership?

I know that the car isn't particularly worth a great deal and im a little worried that the labour bill alone could be well up into the hundreds of pounds before even replacing any parts.

Then also if the VCT unit is at fault it would probably be cheaper to buy another car.

Thanks again

Hi there ,good morning to you

Sorry for the delayed response

Ok you would be looking at 2-3 hours complete check and diagnosis this would include various tests ie checking and ruling out components ie timing /VCT solenoid s etc
As a process of elimination

I don't think the VCT units are that expensive from memory

I would have the diagnostic done by ford firstly and then the deducing can be made in what way to progress

Regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE