Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

2007 Ford Focus 1.8tdci not starting

2007 Ford Focus 1.8tdci wil not start after altenator replacement. Engine cranks at 600+rpm. No trouble codes logged in memory. Engine Systems Fault appears when ign on. Immobiliser LED goes off after 3 sec. Fuel pressure reads 4000+ There is voltage on Glow Plugs while relay clicks on. MArk one of the experts on here was heading down the line towards immobiliser but I lost contact with him

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ...

Was the engine running ok before the alternator replacement?

Where did you get the alternator from -? Is it identical to the one removed?

What do mean by : Engine Systems Fault appears when ign on.??

Did you open / disturb the fuel line / system at all?

Rgds, MIKE..........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I hope you can assist me diagnosing car problem...
yes engine was running, when altenator problem occurred car was being driven, lights started flashing on dash and car lost power. Car was able to start with jump start. so engine was running.

Altenator is a refurbished, I removed a 105Ahour and replaced with a 105Ah from local altenator repair guy.

Engine Systems Fault is displayed on the dash when key is turned to ign on.

I had to disconnect fuel pump connections(electrical + fuel line) to remove altenator. but I connected everything back up. Fuel is getting to the injectors when cranking I checked this after altenator replaced when car would not start

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Liam -

Thank you for your reply and further info -

Ok - with what you have outlined further now, it would appear that the Ecu / pcm has locked down .... In any event Liam, you are going to have to have the car connected to a Ford diagnostic machine Im afraid to cure this,..

What you could try meantime - is with everything connected up as it should be -ensure the battery is fully charged - then remove the key's from the car. Then remove the battery cables from the battery - and connect them together. Leave them connected ( link with a wire if needed ) for 30 mins - then disconnect them - and re connect them to the battery - and re try it.

This has the effect of re booting the computers on the car.. and in may cases will work..

IF it doesn't though - and all else is correct as it seems to be, you are faced with having to have it reprogrammed as above Liam Im afraid. This is not just a fault code read or done with a fault code reader - the Ford machine has the ability to re program the Pcm - which is looking like it meeds... they just do lose their programming sometimes Im afraid - espeically when work has been done / and / or the systems interrupted - power circuit etc as you would have done in taking the alternator off.

But - do just double check all your wiring Liam - an earth left off or a bad connection even anywhere will / can cause this... so do check all that over first.

Again - try the re boot as above - but if all else fails - you are faced with having to have the pcm reprogrammed to cure this Im sorry to say ...Its just one of those "glitches" that happens to us all now and then Im afraid.. but thats the way forward on this one. Let me know how you get on.

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert