Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician

Hi. Ive got a focus 1.6 tdci zetec 2006. Ive been having

Customer Question

Hi. I've got a focus 1.6 tdci zetec 2006. I've been having problems with it for a few months where the engine cuts out completely when accelerating to around 3k rpm no matter what gear its in. It's got a lot worse over the last couple of weeks to the point of its struggling to get up a slight Hill. A quick flick off and back on of the ignition and it effectively bump starts back to life. Had it on the diagnostics machine at Ford and no fault codes are showing. Dpf was replaced about 10k miles ago (2 years). Fuel filter was replaced around 4k miles ago.
Do you have any suggestions? I saw another part on here about a possible throttle position sensor wiring problem but that person said that their car just goes to idle, but mine just cuts out altogether.
Hope you can help. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok is this fault intermitent or does it happen everytime the vehicle hits around 3000rpm (when driving and at idle )
And there was definatley NO fault codes logged in the PCM when fords IDS laptop was connected
Did they give you a print out to clarify as I find it strange there was no code/s Logged
Did they road test or confirm the fault with you

Sorry for all the questions

Regards in advance

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, this isn't intermitent, it happens every time the car gets to 3k rpm, sometimes less. we had the car in at a local garage for a couple of weeks and as a last resort he ended up taking the car to a ford garage and told us no codes came up. the technician at ford also seemed baffled by the problem. not sure if he road tested it.

the car can be revved whenstationary and doesn't cut out, but it will cut out when it hits the rev limiter. the car will start straight away though.

thanks brian

Hi there ,thanks

Ok Obivously this type of fault is a bit more difficult to diagnose online due to its nature
And if there is no codes it can be even more difficult however I find it strange this wouldn't log a code

Ok with faults like this and as were told no codes we need to carry out a live datalogger road test
This allows the technician to monitor the relavent sensors ie fuel pressure ,EGR valve ,crankshaft sensor (this monitors the revs ) ,boost pressure etc

I have had similar issues to what you describe over the years one with no codes at all and the fault turned out to be the EGR valve shorting out (these valves were prone for water ingress due to the position of the multiplug ) if you remove the multiplug and check for blue/green corrosion on the pins of the multiplug and EGR valve

Other issues which can cause this is crankshaft sensor or rpm pick up issues this would show up on a live data road test
The crank sensor picks up the rpm off a encoded pick up ring
If this ring has been disturbed or is faulty this can cause this issue

I have also seen corroded wires at the crankshaft sensor multiplug /wiring area
Again these should be checked as a process of elimination
Due to the nature of the fault

But the way forward and to identify the cause is a live data road test if the above tests are ok
The EGR valve is one that can sonetines leave a code if p0698 -reference circuit low

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening
We can continue on this same post

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks for that.

to start with i'll have a look at the egr multiplug. can you describe where i can find it? i'm no mechanic and not sure where to look.

also i don't know if its related but the car smokes more than normal. i know most diesel cars do but even at low rpm i can see a little bit of black smoke. i've cleared the crap out with a quick blast now and then when stationary but it seems to come back the next time i drive it.

thanks again

Hi there thanks

Ok the EGR bakve is located at the passengers rear of the engine bay it has a 5or 6 pin multiplug on it (at the rear back of the engine bay
The multiplug can be accessed from under the bonnet and removed by your hand
The multiplug sits vertically ie pushes downward this the water ingress (sometimes a mirror is needed to check the pins due to the wiper scuttle panel )

You will have to remove the engine cover (2x10mm nuts )

EGR valve issues can cause black smoke also due to mud combustion by allowing to much exhaust gases into the engine

If you are struggling I can post a picture but it will be later tonight as Iam on the iPad just now and it doesn't support the function to do this as the laptop does

Kind Regards in advance

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok that would be great if you could send a couple of pictures. i've just had a look but can't see what you describe.

thanks again

No worries I will see what the best pictures are to guide you and post back in a short while

Thanks for your pateince

Hi there ,good afternoon to you

I was looking through our conversation and have noticed the picture I posted hasn't shown up
I have mentioned this to the site admin team who are looking into this as I posted it a few days ago

Can you post back to me to see if I can resend it

I have the wiring colours for you if that will help locate the EGR valve for you

Regards in advance and sorry for any inconvenive caused

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok here you go.

Hi there ,thanks

Ok I have reported this issue regarding posting pictures to my admin team as there seems to be done issues with this function

The EGR valve is located at the very rear of the engine bay (passengers side )
This is located underneath the wipers /scuttle panel thus the tight access issues

The EGR multiplug has 5 wires on it
Pin 1 - yellow /green
Pin 2 - black /green
Pin 3 -green/black
Pin 4 -white/green
Pin 5 - brown /green

If you remove the engine top cover and use a light and look under the wiper /scuttle panel at the rear of the engine you should be able to locate it

Regards in advance