Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello, my T350 is running lumpy, i.e. delayed response to pedal

Hello, my T350 is running lumpy, i.e. delayed response to pedal and often low on power. It feels like a dirty fuel filter, which has been replaced. Having tried a fuel additive to clean the fuel system, I am now going back onto BP and possibly Shell supreme diesels, which previously helped, though did not eradicate all the lumpiness. Do I need to get the injectors cleaned, the fuel tank cleaned (120k), use a fuel additive or get a diagnosis at local Ford dealer? Current usage is 60k p.a..
***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dave and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help / advise you on this..

Certainly it does look like - and it would be a good bet , that its dirty injectors. What happens is espeically with that sort of mileage, the pintles on the injectors get sticky and effect the spray pattern which can be enough to cause what you describe - espeically of all injectors are affected..., So yes, I would suggest go for a good fuel injector / system cleaner - I can recommend the use of Forte products Dave.. These are not sold in shops - they are a trade only product - for just these sorts of issues... but you can get them from various sources -one of which is HERE.. This Forte product is not the cheapest but its the best! Given the engine / system you have - I would suggest to buy / use two bottles - and at the same time - fit a new filer - pouring half a bottle into the filter when fitting...and the rest in the tank - so that it works as you drive.

Give it enough mileage to have an effect / work Dave - it does work very well so if its that issue, it should work for you. If the injectors are really bad though, then they would need to be removed and cleaned at a diesel specialist - ultrasonic cleaning will often resurrect a bad injector / save renewal.

So its certainly worth doing that Dave - its the cheapest way forward and has every chance of working -its worth a go, as I say, its made for just these sorts of issues.

Again - IF it doesn't cure it - I would then suggest have a diesel specialist as opposed to a dealer check it for you - they have all the test equipment needed and if often a better option - and cheaper, than dealers. Plus you don't mention any fault lights... with the absence of such, dealers tend to be somewhat foxed - whereas a specialist as above will test the systems fully / properly to find the fault...be it injectors / pump issues etc.

So thats the way to work forward Dave and get to the bottom of this for you -

If there is anything more you need on this or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** ordered, so will let you know how we get on.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave..

Thank you for your reply - Im very glad to have helped.

As I mentioned above - one way or the other working through should see that sorted for you..
... Per the way justanswer works Dave, I do just need you to please click on the OK / Excellent ratings for me at this point - Thank You kindly...

Again - you are welcome to come back to me anytime as / if needed..

Thank you in anticipation -

Best Rgds Dave, MIKE.
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike, while I wait for the Forte cleaner to turn up, are there other filters which would benefit from being changed?

Dave

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave -

Other than the fuel filter - it would be worth just checking the Air filter - of course if its starving of air it will cause running issues - but other than that Dave no....

Best Rgds, MIKE.