Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

i have a 98 galaxy ghia that wont stsrt after being run for

i have a 98 galaxy ghia that wont stsrt after being run for awhile, while it wont start the diagnostic reader says link error on the engine but it will read the other codes, when the engine does start the reader says there are no codes
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ..

I need to know though as a starting point - what exact engine do you have... both size and type.. ie petrol / diesel?

Plus -please tell me all / everything that has been done / tried - the more info you can give me, the better I can help -

Plus - exactly what type of code machine are you using?

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Mike my engine is the 1.9 diesel the scanner is a PRO SCAN V500 VAG scanner from uk diagnostics, for volkswagen sharan, ford galaxy, abs.air bag, engine obd, obd2. to be honest i haven't tried anything yet i bought the scanner to give me a place to start.

the car has failed to start a couple of times in the past after being left for a few minuets, i thought maybe just flooding, it always started after a little while then run ok. This time the car stopped whilst driving, I checked the oil leve it was on the lower level of the mark, after about 15 minuets and topping oil up the car started, the car stopped again going down the on ramp to to the dual cariageway after leaving for few minuets it started,

Then i drove 2 miles down the road and it would not start untill left for a short while, the car started yesterday morning but not the rest of the day While the car is running the scanner works ok but when the car not running it reads link error on the engine but reads air bag etc ok i think it is a problem with the ecm the car wont start at all this morning. thanks mick

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I said car would not start this morning, tried it again with the same result it would not start. I locked car then unlocked it it and it started fine, I tried it 6 more times an d it started ok, the scanner is reading

glow plug indicator light K29

circuit to earth

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
-Hello again Mick -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

A linking issue is almost always down to either incorrect software used on the machine for the vehicle system in question - or, a fault somewhere with the wiring / connections along the line - or at the PCM... or, the PCM itself has a fault.

I think we can likely rule out the first - but the other two need to be borne in mind..

Now though - you have managed to get that code out of it - and that sounds as though its a fair possibility given its a starting issue - certainly a fault with the glow plug circuit in any way will cause a non start.

I would check the glow plugs - that code will come up with a faulty plug - even one... If you are not sure of their age - just renew them Mick - and use a good make..not a cheap type... they don't last.

You could have a fault with the glow plug relay - but I think this is looking more like a glow plug issue as above- certainly thats the first to do anyway to progress with this to getting it sorted for you -

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi mike thanks for your answer i will get some new glow plugs,but i'm not happy about the car just stopping on me, would faulty glow plugs do that.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Mick..

Thank you for your message - my apologies for the delay in my reply...

Glow plugs are on the earlier models used for starting only - on the later models, they are also utilized when the engine is running, for emission control etc - A short on the circuit can have a knock on effect on either type and cause a feedback, causing a shut down of other sensors and so on / cut out etc.

At this point , given what you have described -and you have that code for that circuit - that is the first thing to attend to..sort out.. Once thats done, that should sort the code you have for sure and then yes hopefully the cut out issues. If not - you would need to investigate that further - but you have to rule that issue out first as its a known problem you have there...

I hope that helps / explains for you Mick..

All the best - MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks mike i will let you know how i get on