Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I need to remove the sump on a 2003 streetka, I cant wok out

Customer Question

I need to remove the sump on a 2003 streetka, I can't wok out how to remove the last 2 bolts on the passenger side.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you

Ok unfortunately on the street Ka 1.3(rocam )the Gearbox needs to be removed to allow you to remove the clutch and fly wheel to access these last 2 bolts

It's a poor design in my opinion but this is the only way to access the last 2 bolts

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, can you tell me how to remove the gearbox please
Hi there ,

Ok removing the gearbox takes around 3-4 hours labour

This involves the wheels /lower arms /driveshaft being removed
and you will need an engine bar support as you won't be able to remove the sump with the gearbox out without one as there is nothing to support the engine once the gearbox is removed (normally the endge of the sump would be used with a stand and block of wood but as you need to remove the sump with gearbox out you need an engine bay support bar

Regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi there

If you wish I can give you detailed instructions with pictures with the procedure I talked of regarding the support bar

Regards ***** *****

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That would be amazing, thanks
Hi there

Ok no worries it will take me a bit of time to piece the pictures and information together

So I will post it later today

Thanks for your Patience

Regards Brian
Hi there ,good evening to you

I have been trying for the last few hours to post pictures and details of the process to five you s guide in removing the gear box. But the site doesn't seem to let me post them they are coming up blank

The problem you will have is supporting the engine as I mentioned we use a special tool that located on to both strut tops snd then on to the front panel then using a threaded hook we hook/support the engine alluring removal of both the gearbox and the sump

I can give you a detailed guide on how to remove the gearbox but without this supporting tool you won't be able to support the engine if you are replacing the sump

Kind regard ls in advance

Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've been told it's possible to split the bell housing and undo the top 2 engine mounts. This will give enough access to the 2 bolts without dropping the gearbox.
Hi there good morning to you

I have only ever used the method I described by way of removing the gearbox as the bolts sit behind the flywheel
It is worth an attempt as you don't have the securing support bar
You would need to slacken all the bell housing bolts a good bit and the support the gearbox and then remove the gearbox mounting and rear roll restrictor and the use lever to seperate the bell housing from the engine but from memory you Iam sure the flywheel obstructs the access to these bolts

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could you email me the description to drop the gearbox out please with pics if you got them like we originally dicussed, you were right about the fly wheel bring in the way. *****@******.***
Cheers
Hi there good evening to you

Ok I've been having trouble with posting pictures due to the tool bar not appearing on my page Iam currently trying to resolve this as I think it may be a setting on my laotop rather than a site issue

I did think from memory the fly wheel blocks the bolts (poor design in my opinion
I will reply later tonight in accordance to our discussion

Regards in advance

Brian