Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I recently had a new clutch put in my mk1 ford focus. After

I recently had a new clutch put in my mk1 ford focus. After several I weeks I stareted to have trouble getting the car in gear when first starting the car. I have no problem selecting gears if I switch the engine off and put into gear. Any ideas what this problem could be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok the main issue we seen on the mk1 focus was a hairline crack in the clutch pipe union
The clutch pipe where it enters the gearbox/slave cylinder has an alloy union fitted to it
These were very common for seeping fluid or drawing air into the clutch hydraulic system
We know the fault is hydraulic as it happened previously and was bled and was then ok but has now returned
And the fact it is a hard fault (bleeding it is solving it short term )
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Brian should of mentioned the garage replaced the clutch pipe union when they did the clutch. They informed me the one on the car was cracked.
Hi there
Ok just to confirm this is a hard fault and not intermitent ie gets better when hot
The garage re-bled the clutch and it was ok for a few weeks after the clutch was replaced and all was ok now a few weeks later the original fault has returned
regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it be a gear cable issue as the mechanic at the garage informed me that there is a little bit of play on mine
Ok if the issue was a gear cable fault it would be there when the engine was off
The reason it is not there when engine is off is the clutch doesn't need to clear to select the gear
This is a clutch /hydraulic issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Brian. Will phone the garage on Monday to see if they will put this right.
Mike
No worries mike
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian