Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

have just fitted a new clutch to a 2002 ford fiesta and it

have just fitted a new clutch to a 2002 ford fiesta and it has sprung an oil leak somewhere around top of housing but cannot see exactly where? Any ideas!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok the most likely cause is you have detached the gearbox breather
This is a small breather bung that pops into the gearbox casing at the top
Some times they have hoses on them and other times there is just a small one way breather popped into housing
This would explain why the oil is going upward
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have changed the breather bung and also wrapped ptfe tape round it and why would it suddenly start to leak from there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
taking too long for a supposed ford mechanic
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE...

As you have re listed your question, per justanswer rules , I can help you from here..

Can just ask you - did you renew the clutch thrust bearing at the same time?

Are you sure this is trans oil - not clutch fluid?

Rgds, MIKE....................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we did and it is definitely trans fluid. this plastic bung how does it seal itself as last mechanic seemed to think this was the cause?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there -

Ok - this plastic bung is a breather for the transmission - so it shouldn't be sealed and in fact you need to remove the Ptfe tape - sealing it will cause other issues such as other seals to blow... as the pressure will build. Its an open device - for breathing - but it shouldn't let oil out...

If its letting or pushing oil out, this is either that the transmission has been over filled with oil - or, it has developed an internal fault causing over pressure... I would suggest to double check the amount of oil you re filled the transmission with - and the other thing is - the type of oil used - if you have used a wrong oil - too thick for example - that will cause this also..

The transmission should have 2.3 litres of 75W / 90 synthetic...

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have put correct oil in and checked level on filler plug yesterday and no oil came out when filler plug off. We put a new three piece clutch set in,have done these before with no problem.But this one is doing my head in and its the other halfs car!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

I note what you say about checking that no oil came out when the filler plug was out... it could just be that as you have had the gearbox and not straight as it would be on the car - and with all the movement etc, that its just oil thats got into that area ( the breather ) and its blowing out... In which case- if thats the case, it will stop soon.

Little hard for me to say without seeing it - but thats a possibility.. Really its only a hole in the top of the gearbox for a breather - so unless thats happened.. the only other cause would be too full / wrong oil used....

I would suggest to run it then and see if it clears -as above..in which case thats all it is.. Let me know how you get on - or if you need to discuss it more..

.... Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you .. Note - it says to close when you do that - but you can get back to me anytime at all after if need after clicking the Ok..

Thank you again -

Best rgds , MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did clutch three days ago and have cleaned area off twice now and also put a small amount of trans oil in since she took it to work today nice and clean and came back covered in oil again for the second time, so your answer no good. Have run it for two days now after cleaning it off and itcomes back covered.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply.

Exactly what oil did you use / put in... and exactly how much?

Was the gearbox fully empty / drained before you added oil?

Rgds, MIKE.................

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
...Further - on the top of the breather is an arrow.. do you have that facing the correct way?

Rgds, MIKE............................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

which way do you think the arrow should point towards gearbox or wheel?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again...

The arrow should be pointing toward the front of the car - I just had the thought - if he breather is fitted wrong, it will block and the pressure will build as mentioned before, and will force the oil out...

Let me know how you get on -

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay mike it is not pointing towards front of car at the moment Am going to check this now but am sure there are ridges that that only let you put it in two ways .And you think this could be the problem .

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

Definately yes - its a little known issue - I just had the thought that you may have done that - so yes - it has to be on correct or it will block as above -

Let me know how you go,.. Its possible its damaged on the fitting and may need a new one....

Rgds, MIKE..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have just been out to car it was pointing towards clutch,okay Mike I will put it back the correct way jack it up on stands and run it in gear to see if it still leaks.And your sure this would cause the problem, how does this affect oil circulating in gearbox?Regards Ron.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Ron..

With the breather fitted wrong, it blocks the hole inside the channel way -so it cant breath... the pressure then simply build inside and forces its way out / complete with oil - through -its best it does that than blows a seal which would be worse! SO the oil circulates ok - but its being forced up and out the breather as above..

Once you fit it the right way, all will be well again bar any drips that will clean up..

Let me know how you go - and please dont forget the ok ratings if all is well... it certainly should be as it was on the wrong way... easy mistake mind.

Best Rgds Ron - MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay mike, about to fire it up in gear to see if now okay, I knew someone could help me. I will get back to you a bit later after I have done checks,thanks Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No problem Ron...

Your'e welcome..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike , just took it locally for a road test, and so far so good, have topped it up to its correct level.But will not no for sure until the other half takes it to work and back tomorrow, as on a short run it never showed up last time.Anyway thanks for your help.Regards Ron.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Ron..

Im sure it will be ok now Ron -- given it was on wrong that would have caused it...

Im glad to have helped - all good but you can get back to me anytime.

.... per the way justanswer works Ron, I do just need you to click on one of the OK ratings for me please at this point now as thats how Im credited for helping you etc.. Thank you once again...

You are welcome back anytime -

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert