sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

How do you remove the instrument cluster from a 2003 galax

How do you remove the instrument cluster from a 2003 galaxy?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

To remove the instrument cluster you need to remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds. Once the lower shroud is off you can see the 2 lower cluster screws, remove these then with a thin flat ruler release the locking clip on top of the cluster by sliding the ruler between the top of the cluster and the crash pad (dash) as shown below.

graphic

graphic

From memory I believe some of the shroud screws are behind the steering wheel and the wheel needs to be removed to access these, the steering wheel retaining bolt is normally a multi spline socket.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am having bother with an erratic fuel guage and speedo not working and have been advised by another expert that it a problem with the ground wire at the back of the cluster that needs cleaned or replaced. Do you think this will cure the problem?
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
you can check the ground wiring for the cluster but if it is only the speedo and fuel gauge then I would be surprised as I would expect all the cluster to be affected.
There were problems with the fuel gauge been erratic and this was down to the ABS speed signal for the cluster, the repair for this was a new cluster and pin 28 of the cluster blue connector was isolated, the new cluster was programmed to account for the wire been isolated as this was a speed signal it is possible this could affect the speedo but as far as I'm aware it was usually the fuel gauge showing empty and the warning light coming on for low fuel even though there is fuel in the tank that were the typical symptoms.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Best wishes,
Sean.