Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 58 plate Ford Transit MK7 2.4l RWD, when I bought

Customer Question

I have a 58 plate Ford Transit MK7 2.4l RWD, when I bought it the engine light was on and the guy selling said that the garage to him the EGR valve needed cleaned out. The van only had its PSV 2 weeks previous. I stripped out the EGR valve and it looked like something that hadn't done 10000 miles, dry soot and nothing that I thought should stop it working, I proceeded to remove the top cover and all the gears where fine and moving although there was some soot in the gearing but nothing to stop it working. There is 91000 on the van. The steel EGR pipe going to the inlet manifold had black tar/ gunk in it so I removed the inlet manifold and pipe and proceeded to clean these out also along with the sensor in the steel pipe prior to the inlet manifold. I am starting to wonder is there a wiring problem and not the EGR valve? Any ideas? If an engine wiring diagram was available back to the fuse box it might help me rule this out! Thanks Richie.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Richie good evening to you
Ok the fault will lie with the EGR valve (you cannot clean these out as such due to them being electrical
The EGR valve has changed a few times on the mk7 transit
We now fit the very latest level EGR valve and update the PCM to the latest level software to co -inside with fitting the latest valve
I haven't seen any wiring issues regarding the EGR system
The fault is always the valve
You can now buy a kit from your ford parts department which is cheaper
The kit includes the latest EGR valve /gaskets /bolts etc
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

I am a CAT engineer so will buy the kit and fit it myself. Can I walk into a ford dealership and ask them to flash the ECM with the new software and cancel the engine management light? How long would this take and how much roughly for the EGR valve, Flash of ECM and Engine management light to be put out?

Kind Regards

Richie

Hi there Richie thanks
Ok if you give me the chassis number /registration number I can clarify this with my parts department tommorow morning and give you the price /part number of the kit
Most dealerships charge 1 hours labour to update the PCM and reset EGR learned values and erase all codes
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

BN58OMP is the reg, thanks for the information and sorting out the additional pricing and part numbers.

This is my first time using Just Answer, if I rate you now does this close our chat window or can you still give me information? If it closes it on rating I will rate it tomorrow for you so you receive your payment? Just let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind Regards

Richie

Hi Richie
Ok we can continue on this sane post even after a rating /feedback has been given
I will post the relavent information for you early tommorow morning
Regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Hi there Richie ,sorry for the delay I was looking into this parts issue

The kit isn't avaiable for sale as such and can only be ordered for warranty purposes on direct parts request (warranty only )now
However there is a later EGR valve avaiable priced at £217.49+vat (retail price )
There is a surcharge of £30 on this component
The gaskets and bolts are around £10

Regards in advance

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

Do you happen to have a part number for the warranty kit and the later EGR kit incase I decide to send it into a dealership. At least I could quote them the part numbers for a more accurate quote?

Kind Regards

Richie.

Hi Ritchie the warranty kit part number doesn't come up as it is now only special order for warranty jobs

The new level EGR valve is - 1788657

Sorry about that Richie

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Problem Brian. Thanks for the part number anyway. I have called Ford in Stafford and they quoted me £420 inc VAT and I asked for trade discount, so I managed to get it for £390 all in. That is new EGR, fitting, PCM update and engine management light rest.

Do you think that is a fair price?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Richie that sounds about right for the full job

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for all your help, I think that will conclude everything. You have been a great help. I think the fact that I am an engineer you begrudge paying money for jobs you can do yourself.....

Once again thanks for all your help!

Kind Regards

Richmond

Hi there Richmond ,good evening to you

No worries
If you ever need any future help or technical advice with your transit please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

Kind regards in advavnce and have a nice evening

Brian