Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a ford fous c-max automatic transmission. with the engine

I have a ford fous c-max automatic transmission. with the engine running and in the parked position, also when placed in drive, there is a grating sound coming from the gearbox area. when i release the brake and start to drive, it disapears. the car drives lovley, all though there is rumbling noise sometimes. the gears change ok and there is no problem, but as soon as come to a stop, say at traffic lights, etc. the grating noise starts again. have you any idea what could possibly cause this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

This is unlikely to be a fluid issue given you say it drives and changes gears fine... and as its essentially only at idle -this is going to be a mechanical fault within the trans.. most often such a fault is the torque converter ..and / or bearings within.

Really, the transmissions are very complicated its not something you can deal with yourself- I would strongly recommend you have a local Auto Specialist take a look - most shops / garages will send such problems / issues to these people - because they have the equipment needed to trace the fault... and more importantly, can usually repair rather than replace - saving you , on these, a great deal of money.

Given your description of what is happening - that has to be the best advice for you on this one now John.. --

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou Mike for your answer. I was told by a mechanic,before this conversation that there was burnt oil in the gearbox with traces of metal, which would bear out your diagnosis, so if it was the torque converter or an internal bearing, would it mean stripping the gearbox right down. If so, have you any idea of the cost it could possibly be (approx). John.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there John -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

Im afraid then yes - this does bear out what I said - but - it does depend on just how bad things have got - the burned fluid indications are not good- Its a sign of burned clutches as well etc - and the damage really could be more extensive than is possible to repair at a decent price ... Sometimes it does come where a replacement unit is cheaper.

But -its very hard to say - nigh on impossible really to quote or even hazard a guess at prices John Im afraid - not least because garages charge differently even between themselves let alone around the various areas of the country...So really, you are going to have to get it looked at as I mentioned above and have them quote you... It will need the sump pan dropping for them to inspect whats happened - how bad it is -and then they can come up with a price for you --one way or the other .. It would be a strip down yes if its repairable ( at a decent price ) or if not - just remove and replace...

Im sorry Just cannot say on the prices John - I really wouldn't want to mislead you thats the way forward... Im sorry its not exactly good news for you ..Let me know how you get on --

--- For now though John, I do just need you to please click on the OK / excellent ratings system for me if you would as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you kindly for doing that ..

And again - let me know how you go and / or if you need anything else.

Very best rgds John - - MIKE.

Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert