Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Mondeo Mk 4 Zetec 1.8 TDCi 2010 48000 miles. Hesitation

Customer Question

Ford Mondeo Mk 4 Zetec 1.8 TDCi 2010 48000 miles. Hesitation in mid-revs as if fuel starvation. Had filters all replaced which seems the most popular solution but problem getting worse. Any ideas what I do next? Ford dealer simply said it could be a whole host of things!!!
Trevor
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok do you have your registration numver there to check the exact setup
is this fault intermitent or is it there every time you drive the vehicle
Is there any excessive combustion noise when accelerating or under light acceleration
Is the hesitation happening under very light throttle
Has ANY fault codes been logged when the diagnostic checks were carried out
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brian

Thank you for having pity on an old man! Registration number is

MT10 KMJ Mondeo Zetec TDCi 1.8 hatchback registered 21/06/2010.

Fault occurs pretty much every time I drive although I would have to say it is not constant. When I floor the throttle the car pulls away like the proverbial on a shovel. Don't think this problem occurs under light throttle. Absolutely no fault codes read under diagnostic. Next best advice so far is clean the EGR. Vehicle only done 48000 miles. I don't think this variant has a DPF. Hope this helps.

Trevor

Hi there Trevor ,good morning to you
Ok the reason I asked done of these questions is that ford released a service bulletin for this engine regarding combustion noise and hesitations at hotter driving conditions
The issue lay with an injector nozzle performance issues
The injectors with the end number 3 were affected and the PCM was being updated to a specific level to combat this issue
This is just one of many things that could cause such an issue
These vehicles don't have dpfs fitted to them
Ok regarding the EGR bring cleaned (this cannot be done ) don't attempt to remove the 4 bolts on the inlet manifold as the EGR valves are set at the factory and cannot be fuss mantled they come as a complete inlet manifold
To rule the EGR valve out as a possible concern the easiest way is to blank the EGR valve off by making a template of the gasket using a good piece of steel and fitting it between the exhaust gas supply pipe and EGR valve this stops any exhaust gas from reaching the engine thus ruling this out
Again this is a process if elimination
Other issues that can cause this is boost pressure issues ie leaks of turbo related issues
common concerns on the 1.8tdci regarding hesitation and that should be eliminated is a small split/torn intercooler hose at the drivers rear of the engine bay
This hose is half metal and half rubber with a 2 pin air intake temperature sensor bolted to the metal part
Check the rubber part for any small tears or splits as this is quite common on this Varient
Even if the look visually ok run your hand round this hose and feel for splits or tears
This is usally accompanied by a small rush of air type noise when accelerating hard
Also inspect the intercooler and all other related hoses for any leaks
If all the intercooler hoses are completley intact then and the fault keeps appearing intermitently
Them it's could be the turbo vanes sticking internal of the turbo
If you remove the actuator rod C clip and work the arm for the variable vanes several times to break away any carbon thst may be stuck to the vanes (as if these vanes stick slightly it can cause an underboost concern )
If every thing is visually ok I would advise freeing the vanes off by working the arm back and forth several times then
Add a turbo cleaner to the fuel system and carry out what is known as turbo vane burn out drive cycle
To carry out this cycle get the vehicle up to operating temperature then drive along the motorway for around 20 mins at high revs ie 3000-4000 rpm as this makes the turbo work hard and burns off Any residue carbon
You would be amazed how many times this has worked on a variety of vehicles over the years when other garages are wanting to install a new turbo
This is used as a process of elimination and as your fault is intermitent it's advisable to carry this out if no other issues are obivious
If the fault still persists then you should have a live road test done using datalogger (this allows the technician to visually monitor the various sensors and signals when the fault is happening
Ie ,fuel pressure ,boost pressure ,EGR. Etc
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Trevor please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brian

Thank you so very much for the wealth of information you have given me. I'll get back to you next week when I have had time to do a bit more investigation.

Have a good weekend.

Trevor

No worries Trevor
Look forward to hearing from you regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brian

Thank you for the wealth of information you sent me. I have blanked off the EGR valve (albeit leaving a 6mm hole to fool the EMU) and it seems to have done the trick so it looks as though I am saved from costly alternatives. I have considered a remap but I think it's expensive and not altogether advisable.

I shall be delighted to rate your reply as most satisfactory. If we don't need to talk again, I pray you have a long and happy life.

Trevor

Hi there Trevor ,good evening to you

I glad we have progressed with this issue albeit tricking the system
The problem we have with such issues now is that most of the we see are intermitent and due to how complex the modern day vehicles are in regards to electrical engine mangament systems
Makes tracing these issues more difficult and us something I need to deal with on a day to day basis

If you ever need any future help or technical advice with your vehicle Trevor please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

Kind regards and have a nice evening

Brian