How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sean Your Own Question
sean
sean, Ford Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 3105
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004
Type Your Ford Question Here...
sean is online now

my transit 3.5 tonne tipper went on fire ,it was started in

Customer Question

my transit 3.5 tonne tipper went on fire ,it was started in the glove compartment next to the steering wheel ,it was very hot that day .the insurance says it was not electrical ,there were old batteries ,lighters and paper in it.What could have started it
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
What model year Transit is this? Do you mean the fire was localised around the glove box on the passenger side or was in another location near the steering wheel?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


2008 transit tipper ,it was located in the glove compartment on the drivers side to the right of the steering wheel .could it have been the aa batteries overheating that started the fire

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
the external air temperature would have little effect on the batteries unless they were in direct sunlight. If the batteries short circuit and are left this would certainly start a fire as there would be no circuit protection. To short circuit the battery terminals would need to be in contact with a conductive material such as metal, if a circuit was created this way and there is no consumer then the batteries would heat up until igniting which would then ignite anything combustible in that area. Obviously any residues of gas in the lighters would accelerate any fire.
If the fire started in the stowage compartment then this should be obvious compared to if the fire started elsewhere such as in the wiring of the vehicle.
With regard to the insurance the company should cover the costs provided your cover is more than just third party, as far as I'm aware how the fire started isn't relevant to a claim unless it can be proved the fire was started deliberately.
I hope this helps but if I can advise further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.