Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Focus Mk1 1.6. Auto Y reg: This is a known fault but

Customer Question

Ford Focus Mk1 1.6. Auto Y reg: This is a known fault but I cannot find a fix. At 60 mph in steady motorway driving the temperature gauge goes from the middle to red, stays there for up to a couple of minutes and goes down again. The temperature sensor is between pots 2 & 3 and the sensor cable runs parallel to an ignition lead, it occurs to me that there is some sort of electrical interference at this point. If I am right which lead to I replace? Or can I bind both up with insulating tape? There is no loss of water anywhere and the actual water temperature seems stable and normal. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Sorry for the delay
Ok the fault your speaking of regarding the CHT sensor wiring running over the spark plug (HT) leads us a different fault
But it is ok to use insulating keep this wire away from the ht leads
This causes the speedo to jump when accelerating and isn't to do with the temp gauge
In my experience of these issues the first thing I would check is the cooling fan to make sure it is operating
If you dissconnect the CHT sensor multiplug using a thin pick or screwdriver as it's situated in a recess Inbetween no 2&3 spark plugs
If you dissconnect this plug the cooling fan should operate
This has to be ruled out firstly before continuing
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will have to come back to you in a day or so when I get the time to fiddle around! Thanks Nigel

Hi there Nigel ,
No worries I look forward to your reply
We can continue on this post
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Gallagher,

Hello again. Thanks for waiting. I know my cooling fans are working but despite trying as I might I have failed totally to remove the multi plug, a friend who is an electrical engineer - defence and fighter aircraft, tells me that I could snip the wire but I will not do that unless you tell me it is vital.

That leaves me a bit stumped on where we are going. Perhaps you will take me to an interesting part of car technology since I am obviously not very up to date.

Thanks,

Nigel Readings

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Gallagher,

Thanks for following up. Something went wrong. Google was putting your emails in the trash!

We did not get very far. My fans work, where do we go next?

Thanks,

Nigel

Hi there Nigel sorry for the delay
Ok if we are sure the cooling fan is working then the fault must lie with a restriction on the radiator
In my experience of this issue the radiator had been the issue (even after being flushed through
What we find is internal blockages due to limscake and rust deposits through our the years caused a partial blockage this is more noticeable when driving on the motorway
Most people replace the thermostat first but in my experience this never cures the fault as if the thermostat wasn't opening the engine would overheat during idling /normal driving
The fact it only happens on motorway tells us the radiator can't disperse the heat from the coolant quick enough
Regards ***** ***** Nigel
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Brian, it would be the last thing I thought about and I've seen others changing just about everything but that did not make sense to me. I'll see what I can do short of fitting a new rad!

Nigel

No worries Nigel in my experience this is what will be causing this issue

Regards in advance

Brian