Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

awd malfunction

Customer Question

awd malfunction - have a kuga 2012 petrol 2.5 turbo done around 7500 miles, took car on 3 hour journey parked up for 3 days and when next started the vehicle this message came on and have been on since.  local ford dealer today said i needed a pump but no pumps in stock with ford - would this be correct?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok the most common issue we see in regards ***** ***** faults on the kuga is the haladex clutch pressure pump becoming gunked up causing the warning light and a fault code of P1889 -pump pressure performance
To resolve this issue the pressure pump AND filter should be replaced and the oil replenished in the rear differential assembly
These pumps are not commonly kept in stock and can take a few days to arrive from ford
If the pumps (which I would need to double check for you ) are what is known as back ordered or referred this happens when ford don't currently have them in stock but are awaiting a delivary this can be anywhere between 2 days and 2 months (from the supplier who manufactors the pumps
In most cases back ordered parts arrive withinh a week or so but I recently had an instrument cluster on order from the factory as this was back ordered 2 months on and there is still no sign of it
Your kuga will still be fine to drive until the pump and filter are replaced as the AWD as it's known isn't used 99%of the time in normal day to day driving conditions
The AWD only kicks in when it's needed
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks i have been told by the dealership that its not safe to drive though. I thought these parts arent a serviceable part from ford and shouldnt be replaced?

Oh and can you please check on this part availability?

Hi there
Ok the haladex unit it's self is a black box unit but the pump and filter can be replaced
The pump takes 2 minutes to replace but the filter is a bit more difficult as it sits at the top of the unit and is tight to get at and remove
The last few customers who hafe had this issue have had to wait between a few days and a week for the parts to arrive I have just dissconnected the multiplug from the unit so it's not operating this it won't kick the AWD in
As I said the AWD doesn't work 99% of the time it only comes on when needed ie steep inclines slippery or loose road surfaces etc
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you able to find out about stock of this item?

Hi there,
yes no worries I will check this first thing tommorow morning and reply back to you
We can continue in this same post
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks so much brian, am having sleepless nights about this damn thing the car has only done 7,000 miles and is only 2 years old which i find this very unusual for such a low mileage car?? My dealer says that ford does not have any in stock and i could be without a car for 3 months so knowing that this could be sourced is useful. I will check with them that this is the part required.

Thankyou so much for your help and i will hopefully speak to you in the morning. just gives me a heads up against my dealership so im not so left in the dark.

Hi there I can understand your concern on a vehicle with such low mileage but were starting to see more and more if these failing (it may be down to the fact. It's not used all the tone ) that's me submising obiviously as it seems to be emulsifying the oil
I will post back the relavent parts with stick availability but 3 months seems a bit if a random number
I will confirm the situation in regards ***** ***** stock /availability
The pump and filter should be replaced at the same time and then the oil replenished
I will post back tommorow morning
Regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning - apparently not allowed to drive the vehicle as i have asked and trying to find out more about this part needed

would the part required be part no(###) ###-####? is that the part you are talking about?

Hi there good morning to you y

I have checked the parts we discussed
The pump is ford part number - 1589740 = £509.00 + vat (this part is avaiable from ford )
The filter is ford part number - 1673828. =£47.38+vat (this part is in back order but is stating receival in process so it would probably arrive within a week or so if it is ordered VOR (Vehicle Off Road )

As I mentioned previously the customers we have had have continued to drive the vehicle with no issues
As this is a pump pressure issue the system wouldn't operate

I can try and clarify the issue in regards to continued driving with this fault but in my experience we haven't had any issues as I have sent customers away and ordered parts in

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards in advance and have a nice day

Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive been told that it was ordered with ford uk and referred to germany who have now referred back to the uk. been told this hasnt happened before so not sure what delivery time will be on the filter if ever??

Hi there

My parts have stated that yes it's in back irder but it says receivable in process which they tell me means a week or so on the filter
The pump is avaiable from ford

This is the only information I can get regarding these parts we cannot tell exactly how long a back ordered part will take but in there experience they are telling me a week or so

Regards Brian
Hi there good afternoon to you

How did you get on with our issue regarding our discussions

Regards Brian
Hi there

How did you get in regarding our parts issue

Regards in advance

Brian