sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

the starter motor on my Ford Mondeo diesel 2002 was replaced

Customer Question

the starter motor on my Ford Mondeo diesel 2002 was replaced with new as we thought that the solenoid had gone. This has not cured the problem and although the car will start intermittently, the starter motor still makes a fizzing noise
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
There are a few points to start checking to try to diagnose this concern. First and most likely check the ring gear on the flywheel, worn teeth mean the starter motor can't engage correctly so the pinion can "skip" over the ring gear teeth, when the engine eventually starts it may stop in a different place where the ring gear teeth aren't as bad so allowing the starter to engage correctly.
Check that the battery and all leads are OK including the earths to the engine, the best way to check the leads is with an assistant cranking the engine while you check with a multimeter using the volt drop method.
Start with these points although from your description I suspect the flywheel ring gear, let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could this be anything to do with the starter motor relay?

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
if the starter is spinning over but not engaging then the relay should be OK. If the starter motor doesn't do anything when you turn the key to position III then check the switch wire at the starter for 12 volts, if there isn't 12 volts there then it could be a relay fault but as you say the starter motor makes a noise I suspect the relay will be OK.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Regards,
Sean.