Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

my mondeo 2.0 litre petrol 2002 (mazda engine) has developed

my mondeo 2.0 litre petrol 2002 (mazda engine) has developed a misfire @1500-2000 revs,not present
all the time.Any ideas as to cause?.
Barry
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Barry,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Barry good morning to you
Hopefully I can assist you with your missfire issue
Ok is the missfire Felt if you load the vehicle up ie 3rd/4th gear at low revs and then try to accelerate as to really load the engine
Is it only felt on acceleration (holding back slightly )
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,it only occurs when accelerating in the lower gears ,1st to 2nd,

2nd to third,it is a hesitation,the car jerks.Once over 2000 revs it seems to correct itself,it almost feels as though the engine cuts out for a split second,passengers feel it also.Car has done 111000 miles now.

Barry

Hi there Barry ,good evening to you
Sorry for the delayed response
Ok from your description of the fault I would suspect a fault in ibe of the plug lead as you are only experiencing the missfire at low revs /low gears this fully loads the plug leads up as the spark has to work harder to get by the weakness
The first thing to do Barry is to remove the spark plugs and look at the ceramic part of the plug for any burnt lines (tracking marks ) this is caused by a faulty lead
Also check the coil pack ports (where the lead goes into the coil pack )for corrosion as these were prone for blue/green corrosion on the ports
But from your description it sounds like a plug lead is breaking down under load
Also barry we always advise fitting genuine ford plugs to these Duratec - HE engine
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Barry please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,I have used a contact cleaner on the plug leads,both plug and

coil pack end.Cant see any track marks on plugs.

We are off to Cornwall this weekend,so will see if this has worked.

Barry

Hi there Barry good evening to you
No worries thanks for the reply and hope to here from you soon and hopefully this issue wint arise again
Regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian ,just back from Cornwall,although the problem is not as bad,it is still there,what to try next?.

Barry

Hi there Barry good morning to you
Ok if the fault is a bit better after cleaning up the leads I would suspect a slight break in one of the leads under load
If you don't want to purchase a full set of leads you can purchase just number 1 lead as this is the longest and then for it to each cylinder in turn and test for the fault
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will try a set of leads.Are pattern ones ok ?,or do I need to splash out

on genuine Ford ones?.

Barry

Hi Barry good morning to you
Ok non ford ones are ok the material quality isn't as good but they are a lot cheaper and do the job
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,I have changed the leads,that seems to have solved the problem,thanks for your advice.

Barry Dell

Hi there Barry good morning to you
That's great news Iam glad our issue is now resolved
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE