Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an X registered Ford Focus estate and the engine warning

I have an X registered Ford Focus estate and the engine warning light is on. I have had the catalytic converter changed and the two sensors, but the warning light is still on. Any ideas,please.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If you've got a warning light on then there should be a stored code that will point to the fault

do you know what this code is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I don't know where this code is. How do I go about looking for it?

My mechanic has linked up to a computer diagnostic which indicated a problem with the exhaust,hence changing the catalytic converter and sensors, but no luck.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Keith

when your mechanic plugged into his diagnostic it would have provided a code

so its worth asking your mechanic what this code was

Check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Matt

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly give a good rating after I have been able to contact my mechanic (its Bank Holiday) to see if the exhaust leak is the problem. If not, I will need a plan B

all the best

Keith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again, Just spoken to my mechanic who says he has checked for exhaust leaks before changing the catalytic converter, so have you a plan B now, please?

all the best

Keith

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hell Keith

can you tell me the fault code thats coming up and i'll try to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Matt, I will try to get the fault code tomorrow,-can't do it today - so I will give you your rating then. Please cancel the automated reminder in the meantime.Thanks.

All the best

Keith

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Keith

Understood just get back to me on this post

the automated repsonse I can't do anything about I 'm afraid
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years