Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have Ford Focus c-max 2006, at easter this year I had a

I have Ford Focus c-max 2006, at easter this year I had a large leak on the power steering. The pipes replaced and all seemed ok. A few weeks later I noticed some fluid under car again. Had to top up power fluid a little. Back at garage they could not find leak, put additive in, supposed to find and seal any small leads, since then I still have a minute leak and when they check they can find no leak. I have had 3 different garages to look at this problem help ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

what can happen is the the leak is actaully underneath the rubber boot at the end of the steering rack

so if the rack end seal is weeping it gradually fills up inside the boot and this then drips on the floor

So I'd suggest removing the rubber boot off each end to check for any leaks with the engine / pump running
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for answer but the leak appears to be slightly forward of the front tyres or between them rather than behind, where I presume the end of the steering rack is. any further suggestions would be useful.

Barbara

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Barbara

I think that the steering rack is towards the front of the wheel on these

I'm not certain though but its well worth a proper look with a trolley ajck so you can see under the car

also its quite possible leaks from the end of the rack are running down the subframe and dripping off the lowest point

best thing to do is get a wheel off and take a good look
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your advice but I still do not seem to have an answer, however I have rebooked my car back in to the garage next week. I hope with your advice and that maybe we and them can solve my problem.

I do thank you for the help so far, and I will give you a good rating. Thank you Barbara.