sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

The glow plug light on my Mondeo is flashing. Its TDCi Ghia

The glow plug light on my Mondeo is flashing. It's TDCi Ghia on a 52 plate. I've been told that it could be a split turbo hose, but i've also been told that it could be the injectors need recalibrating, or even worse, need replacing. The injectors were replaced about 8 months ago. Any help would be useful.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

unfortunately unless you can see a split turbo hose or anything obvious in the engine bay the first thing to do is to have the engine management memory (PCM) checked to retrieve the fault code that is stored.

When the glow plug light flashes the PCM has detected a fault, depending on the nature of the fault the engine will run on reduced power or not start.

If the glow plug light is flashing as soon as you turn the ignition on then it's unlikely to be a split turbo pipe as the PCM will only detect the loss in boost when driving, in my experience a split pipe doesn't usually put the glow plug light on, also if a pipe split you should hear a hissing noise when driving as the boost pressure escapes.

With regard to the injectors this will depend on the code stored, if it's an injector

knock limit code then it is usually a software error, an injector circuit code can be a wiring fault or injector fault. Any fuel pressure fault usually P1211 and P0251 can be anything from a blocked fuel filter to a failing fuel pump or injector usually if this is the case the glow plug light and loss of power come after accelerating.

It's very important to use the correct diagnostic routine for fuel pressure faults as I've seen many cases where fuel pumps have been replaced at vast cost when in fact the fault has been the filter or an air leak into the fuel system.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just managed to start it up and the glow plug light was flashing before it started. when it did start there was a misfire and it was blowing a lot of blue smoke. Also, just before it went in to limp mode, when i throttle up it would blow a fair bit of grey /black smoke out of the exhaust. I don't know if that gives you any more info in terms of a diagnostic.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ii cant rate you yet Sean as if i do i wont be able to reply to you without paying again. If you could just answer the follow up question then i will rate you.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, sorry for the delay.
If the glow plug light was flashing before the engine started then this would indicate an electrical concern either wiring or a software error.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Best regards,
Sean.