sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

hi ive have a ford transit 2001 2.4 tddi with lack of power

Customer Question

hi ive have a ford transit 2001 2.4 tddi with lack of power the fault codes stored are p0167 and p1564 any help please
thanks dave
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

hello

OK P0167 is a issue with the Oxygen sensor and P1564 is a throttle pedal sensor issue

of the 2 the throttle pedal is the most likely reason for a lack of power

as the fuel injectors just won't be opening enough if the pedal sensor isn't sending the correct signal

I'd suggest disconnecting the pedal inside the footwell - give the contacts a spray of switch / contact cleaner ( not WD40) and also inspect the wiring to the sensor for any damage

if this doesn't help then replace the sensor

as for the oxygen sensor fault - its referring to the heater element so the sensor is still reading its just not heating up which effects the accuracy of it

so this also needs replacing but at some point

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry the information you've been given is incorrect.
As you are probably aware the TDDi Transit doesn't have an Oxygen sensor, the code P0167 is a fuel timing error reported by the fuel injection pump. P1564 is the fuel injection pump requesting reduced fuelling mode.
Both these codes point to a concern with the fuel injection pump, either the timing chain has become loose or the timing solenoid in the rear of the pump has failed. Usually when these codes are evident the engine would seem noisier than usual.
The pump timing can be checked by removing the access plate in the front cover, remove the crank sensor then turn the engine by hand until the cut out in the flywheel is in line with the crank sensor hole, when it is you should be able to insert a 6 mm drill through the hole in the fuel pump sprocket all the way into the fuel pump body.
The timing solenoid on the pump can be changed without removing the pump but it's easier if the inlet manifold is removed. The solenoid is available from Ford for around £100.
Once again sorry you were given incorrect information.
Let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks Sean . the fault codes P0167 and P1564 also I have P0404

the strange thing is its not lacking power all the time its intermitant any help is welcome

thanks dave

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
from memory P0404 is an EGR related code to do with the valve position control so it may be worth checking the wiring to the EGR actuator and valve (if the valve has a position sensor on it). It may be the valve is sticking and this is when you get the lack of power.
I would also clear the codes and see which return, if none do until after the lack of power and then the pump codes return check the wiring to the pump where it runs near the manifold if this is all OK you may be looking at a pump problem which is unfortunately quite common on this engine and can be expensive.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.