sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Im looking after my sons Ford Puma for a couple of months.

I'm looking after my son's Ford Puma for a couple of months. The heater control is stuck on hot, apparently a common problem. He says that he has tried to fix it and probably checked /replaced about every part. Sometimes it was OK for a while then went again. As a quick fix - can it be electrically disconnected, has it got it's own fuse, would there be any repercussions elsewhere? How can I have a mid life crisis driving a Puma when it's like being in a sauna!!? Any help greatly appreciated, Dad
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
If the heater valve fails then it usually sticks in the default position which is hot.
The valve has a 12 volt feed to it that is permanent when the engine is running, the earth for the valve is supplied by the heater control panel, set to cold the earth is permanent which causes the valve to close so preventing coolant flowing through the heater matrix. Set the temperature control to mid position the earth is pulsed so causing the valve to open and close constantly so the coolant in the heater matrix is not has hot.
Start with checking the 12 volt feed at the heater valve violet/black wire and with the control set to cold check for a good earth at the black/green wire (the engine needs to be running) if there is no earth then it's the heater panel causing the problem.
You can't by pass the heater valve by joining the heater hoses as this can cause engine over heating problems.
Start with checking these points, let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Sean, I'm just on my way out, so have only glanced at the answer. I'm not really looking for a permanent fix just now so the immediate question is - can it be electrically disconnected e.g. remove fuse i.e. not use the heater either hot or cold. I'll have another look tomorrow but maybe you can answer that in the meantime, ta

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
there isn't a fuse to remove as such because if you remove the heater valve fuse for the 12 volt supply then the valve will be in its default position which means hot all the time. Obviously leaving the heater fan turned off will stop most of the air flow but you may end up with misting problems.
You can set the direction to the face vents and turn the vents off by closing them but then you can still demist the windows if needed.
As I said previously if you by pass the heater matrix this can result in over heat problems so this isn't really a wise choice.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.