Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

automatic gearbox

Customer Question

Hi guys....I'm Daniel and I'm very upset because I spend a lot of my family's money to buy a Ford Focus Sport TDCI 2006 1,6 , which I'm not using it now because of my automatic gearbox broken(I heard is a "famous" one -a CVT )....everybody is saying that my only cheap solution is to look at scrapyard !....Will you help me with something?...and confirm me that there is nothing else to do except for changing the gearbox?..THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Daniel

sorry to hear about your troubles lets see I f I can help

have you had the car plugged into a ford diagnostic machine to read off fault codes?

if so what were they?

also in this instance its important to use a Ford scan tool as generic readers only tend to work well with engine faults
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt !

Thank u for answering

How can I be useful....for me !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt.........I"mhere now to clear some parts of my message....Can we?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HELLLLLOOOOOOO.....ANYBODY THERE......Sealed

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Daniel

sorry for not replying right away

like most experts on here I'm not here full time

now have you had the car plugged into a ford diagnostic machine to read off fault codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry....and thank you......Yes the car was tested by 2 independent specialists in gearboxes(that is what they say!)....and unfortunately the only thing I remember is that there is a P0700 fault......Gearbox ECM malfunction at first specialist and something mechanical inside at the second......anyway both of them told me to change the gearbox........The last one said that my gearbox type is a CVT one ,very problematic one in the past and it was replaced after few thousands made......but I'm not so sure about it because as far as I saw on my internet search is that type CVT was only on C-max and before my car was made......

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Daniel

P0700 is an INFORMATION ONLY code.

It is ust there to tell the technician that there are specific fault codes in the Transmission Control Module. It does not stand for any one part or problem. It is and information code for the technician. The only way to retreive the transmission specific fault codes is with a Ford diagnostic scanner. There is no other way.

there are over 100 transmission fault codes. there are too many possibilities, including dozens of common failures, to try to guess which one. You will end up spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars needlessly replacing good part after good part until you finally get it resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt !....Sorry for not coming with a answer by now but I just received your answer now.....So the thing is that actually (I talked with my last mechanic) my gearbox has mechanical issues inside not electronical ones......therefore he cannot guarantee that he can solve the inside problem just replacing few of those thousand pieces in there.So here it is my final question:should I go forward in trying to replace inside or just buying a second hand gearbox ?

Thank you very much for your pacience and advices.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Daniel

thanks for the extra information

I'd go and source a good used unit in that case