sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

how long do glow plugs stay on for. 2012 front wheel drive

how long do glow plugs stay on for. 2012 front wheel drive ford transit. Also what voltage are they.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following is the information you require.
The glow plugs on this model are 12 volt glow plugs. The heating time varies, at -20 degrees C or below on the CHT sensor the maximum time is 8 seconds, this goes down to no pre heat when the CHT sensor reading is over 80 degrees C.
The after glow phase only operates at engine speeds below 2500 RPM and the times are from 30 seconds at -20 degrees C or lower on the CHT to no after glow heating at over 50 degrees C.
Let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply my ford transit is a front wheel drive 2007 I replaced the engine with a 2012 engine.

I bought a complete 2012 engine but had to change the glow plugs the injectors the injector pump the turbo and a few other small items.

The vehicle is driving fine but its pinking until its at full operation temp.

ps in your opinion what would you think happened my old engine an injector came loose is it possible that it contaminated the oil as the oil pick up was almost blocked.

Thanks,

Pat

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
if the engine is pinking then this would suggest an over fuelling concern probably due to an injector fault.
The oil pick up blocking could be due to a build up of deposits from either diesel or the engine oil, these deposits can become very hard over time with the heat from the engine, usually more frequent oil changes will prevent this as it can depend on how the van is used such as short journeys.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.