Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

hi, ford focus 1.6 auto 06 reg .Sometimes when starting alarm

hi, ford focus 1.6 auto 06 reg .Sometimes when starting alarm light stays flashing and will not allow car to start.Then after a while its ok.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Hi there Richard ,good afternoon to you
Ok the fault will most commonly lie with the instrument cluster (internal fault )
The flash code 16 indicates a communications fault between the cluster and PCM (the cluster holds the master Immobilsor code and keys are coded to the cluster
The cluster also acts as a gateway for the modes to speak and transmit data to each other
This seems to be more common on the 06-07 plate vehicles
There is a few tests you can do with the fault present but in each instance I have seen the fault lies with an internal fault on the cluster
The fact this happens intermitently most commonly points to the instrument cluster
There is no pattern to this fault
In some cases hitting the top of the dash hard resolves the fault temporarily
There are 2 x120 ohms resistors fited to the cluster and PCM
This should read 60 ohms at the diagnostic plug in your case the reading will be 120 ohms with theas the cluster has gone open circuit
I have personally seen and fixed many of these on focus /c-max More so on the 1.6 petrol Varients
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Richard please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Brian, sorry but thats all double dutch to me. Does that mean i have to get a new dashboard.Thanks Gerry

Hi there Gerry
Yes the dashboard /cluster should be replaced this is a common occurance on this model of vehicle and it seems to be more prone on the 1.6 petrol Varients
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Brian, thanks for swift reply.will there be any problems eg; ecu changing dash.Many thanks Gerry

Sorry for the delay Gerry
Ok the cluster needs to be programmed using diagnostic equipment to the PCM and you must have 2 keys available to do this successfully
Regards Brian