sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Engine warning light has come on.

Engine warning light has come on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
Which engine is this? If a diesel is the glow plug light flashing or just the MIL on? Does the engine still perform as it should or does the car lack power?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 1.8 petrol engine. Seems to be performing fine, quiet and smooth. Has had engine rebore and new inlet manifold in the last 3 months
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
there are a couple of common concerns on this engine that put the MIL on but the engine still performs OK.
There are problems with the EGR valve, especially the electrical connector can become burnt, the valve can also stick both faults cause the valve to malfunction and once detected by the PCM the MIL is illuminated as it is an emission related concern.
The other fault tends to be with the Oxygen sensors, usually the upstream so check the heater on the sensor is operating using a multimeter and also check the sensor voltage is switching as the fuel switches between rich/lean.
There are other possibilities for the MIL coming on but the only way to pinpoint this 100% is to have a diagnostic scan of the PCM memory done, this way you can retrieve the stored DTC that is putting the light on. Any garage can do this so the cost is minimal or if you want to do this on a DIY basis a code reader can be bought for around £40 on the internet, there are also smartphone apps available now for reading EOBD codes and showing live data although from my experience of these their quality is very erratic.
Let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.