Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi, My 2011 Ford Modeo 1560cc Zetec TDCi has an intermittent

Hi, My 2011 Ford Modeo 1560cc Zetec TDCi has an intermittent fault.
The engine misfires briefly ( for a second or two) irrespective of whether it is cruising or accelerating. This only happens every 200 miles or so. My 3 year warranty ends in November so I'd like to get it sorted. My local Ford Dealership tells me that this is a known feature/problem. He says the engine management computer has detected that the exhaust system is blocked with carbon deposits and is squirting excess diesel into the engine to burn this away. Have you any experience of this or is this a bit of a fairy tale ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you sorry for the delay
Ok what they have spoke of is known as a dynamic regeneration of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)
This is done when certain driving conditions are met in order to clear the soot accumulated in the DPF filter assembly
The PCM controls extra fuel injection to inject more fuel into the combustion chamber in order to raise the temperature of the engine high enough to burn the carbon out of the filter some systems have a small 5th injector located just before the DPF to aid the regeneration process this injects fuel directly into the DPF
This is the small fluctuation of the engine you will feel as it is happening every 200 miles + this is normal operation of the system
As if there was a concern with any other systems it wouldn't happen at these intervals
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE