Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

ford focus 1.6td . would not start battery ok started on a

ford focus 1.6td . would not start battery ok started on a push but lost power steering and lights started going in and off in dash
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok what happened for the vehicle to end up as a non start ie did it cut out on you when you were driving ie lost electrical power
Or did you just go out to the vehicle and it wouldn't start
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i stopped car to go to shop.when i returned to the car i tried to start it but i only got a click.the car ws pushed and i was able to start car and went home and parked car.a few minutes later i went to check car with my son and could not find anything wrong with battery.we started car with a push and drove..we then lost power steering which came on intermitently.

we parked the car and again tried to start but only got a loud click

Hi there thanks
Ok this fault lies with either the starter motor or more likely it's a tell tale sign of a faulty battery ie vehicle drives ok until you switch off then it can't be restarted this is due to the fact the battery can't hold a charge
to rule the stater motor motor out if you connect jump leads to the vehicle and it starts this indicates the starter is ok and the fault lies with the battery
The reason the power steering faut appears is due to low battery' voltage
You should also once you get the vehicle started and monitor the battery voltage with it running it should be 14 volts + at idle
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if its the battery would i still have full lights and power to operate windows

Hi there yes but when you go to crank it the lights would dull as it draws a lot more voltage to turn the engine over than to operate a window
The best way of testing this is to connect jump leads to the battety and if the vehicle starts you know it's a battery voltage issue
If the vehicle clucks when you try to start it with the leads connected you know it's a starter motor fault
The starter motors aren't something that is common on this Varient but obviously cannot be ruled out
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE