sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a 2007 mondeo 2ltr zetec. The problem I am having is

I have a 2007 mondeo 2ltr zetec. The problem I am having is the lights only go on/off with the ignition. I have no high beam, no fog lights & the clock illumination lights don't work either but all the clocks & guages work fine. I have disconnected the battery to try reset the control modules but no joy. The light switch does nothing
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.
Can you confirm the headlights are on all the time with the ignition on? The cluster illumination doesn't work at all, what about the switch illumination for the windows does this work as it should?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello sean thanks for getting back to me. The lights only come on /go off with the ignition. The lighting switch cluster does not work at all so i've not got any foglights either. Main beam does not off the stalk either. No instrumentation illumination lights but oil, ignition etc lights work ok. Not sure what you mean about window lights but footwell lights, & the courtesy lights come on and off when the doors are used. Hope this helps.

Kev,

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
from your description there is a fault with the light switch circuit, the GEM/BCMii detects this and so turns the headlights on as a safety measure.
Check fuse 33 in the fuse box under the bonnet there should be 12 volts here with the ignition on, if this is OK then check pin 1 (red wire) of the light switch for 12 volts and pin 5 (black) for a good ground/earth. Pin 6 of the light connector is the LIN that connects to the BCMii make sure this isn't shorted to earth, this goes to pin 52 of connector C1BP02C of the BCMii
It may even be an internal BCMii fault if all the wiring checks OK and the BCMii connector C1BP02A is disconnected and the lights don't come on this would indicate a BCMii concern. If with this disconnected any of the lights come on then depending on which light is on there is a fault in a particular headlight circuit.
As I said at the beginning the lights are on as a safety feature, it could be a simple blown fuse.
I hope this helps but if I can advise further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fuse 33 is fine but need to check fuse connection in the box. Could you please tell me where I can find the BCMii & how do I check it for a fault please. Thanks

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
check at the light switch first as this will help pinpoint the problem. The BCMii is part of the fuse box inside the car.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. Just checked voltage across fuse 33 & its okay. I have only 4 wires going to light control switch but i tested the red & black as you said & i have 12 volts across there. Sorry to be a pain

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, below is a link to the lighting wiring diagram to assist you.
If you have 12 volts at the switch and an earth then check the LIN wiring as this is the control wire between the light switch and the BCMii.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghmtozwec7jvp2u/mondeo.pdf?dl=0
Best wishes,
Sean.