Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Mondeo 1800 03 registration, how much oil does it

Customer Question

I have a Mondeo 1800 03 registration, how much oil does it use per annum. I am topping mine up every month. and my water levels  Is this normal? I kept cutting out and stalling, when I used high revs , blue smoke and a lot of black soot like deposits came from the exhaust, so far so good it has not happened again, what is the problem , does it need a servis . Thank you.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

no straight asnwer on this one as oil use will depend on how the car is driven, how many miles are on it and how worn the engine is

for an 03 car I'm guessing its about 80K miles?

so about 1000 miles / litre is as bad as it should get but usually they are much better than this the fact its cutting out may mean its drawing in lot more oil than it should and the plugs are getting coked up

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Me being a woman and not knowing crankcase pressure ect, or find the air intake pipe, I will ask some one who does ..unless you have a diagram you could show me . if that's the case ... replace valve, how much are we talking to fix ? and last but least ...is the car safe to go back and forwards to work. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need new engine?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sheila

to replace the valve is an hours work at most for a competant garage and the work can be carried out at any small independent

and yes keep the oil topped up and the car should be safe to drive

and don't worry about a new engine until you've exhausted the cheaper options

potentially yes the engine may have a broken piston ring so the most cost effective fix is a good used engine

but try the cheap stuff 1st