Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Bmax with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine 1oo ps. The car

Customer Question

I have a Bmax with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine 1oo ps. The car starts off very quietly but when warm and the engine under load there is a high pitched tinny rattle, I think from the engine. The dealer says he can detect no abnormal noises. Do you know what the cause could be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to continue waiting as the problem (for me) has continued from new, 5000 miles ago. If it is a characteristic of this unusual engine then well and good but if there is a fault which could mean an engine rebuild outside warranty then I need to know. It would be cheaper to run a BMW! Can you still get "pinking" with this engine on unleaded petrol?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

this characterful little 3 cylinder does make a bit more noise than a normal engine and the few that I've expierenced do buzz a bit

but a tinny rattle is most likely a heat sheild on the exhaust

and yes its still possible to get 'pinking' on this engine but the engine controls and sensors are so very good that I very much doubt it would occur long enough for you to hear it

if it was continually running into detonation (pinking) then you'd notice that it wouldn't feel very powerful and the fuel economy would aslo be poor and it would be running hot
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. It gives me something to go on.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
glad to help