Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

HiI have a 54 Plate Focus C-Max.The Speedometer is

Customer Question

Hi I have a 54 Plate Focus C-Max. The Instrument dashboard (speedo) is broken & car won't start. It powers up but dials don't move & I get bogus warning lights. I am told the instrument cluster has failed. I have looked around & replacements can be bought fairly cheaply but they need recoding. Is this a simple job?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delay
Ok the instrument clusters on the focus /c-max Varients must be programmed /coded in uding either girds ids software or software/diagnostic equipment that is compatible
The cluster holds the vehicles keys (main Immobilsor ) the cluster must be programmed , then 2 keys programmed to cluster then the clustering be paired to the pcm
When installing a new cluster you must have 2 keys available to complete programming
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - I have 2 keys (one remote & other standard).

As the car won't start I can't get it to a garage.

I don't suppose this is something the RAC could do for me either.

Is this something you think a decent mechanic should be able to do or does it require main dealer attention?

Hi thanks
Ok some independent garages or mechanics have the diagnostic equipment avaiable to complete the programming of the cluster /Immobilsor
Obivously fords ids software is the most compatible but there are mobile locksmiths/auto electricians that may be to come out to you and carry this out
Check online and phone a few to enquiry if they can arty this out for you as this would save you taking it to a main dealer and towing /transporting the vehicle
Regards ***** *****
Brian