Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Good Morning Our Fiesta 1.6 Titanium (Diesel) has drained

Good Morning
Our Fiesta 1.6 Titanium (Diesel) has drained our battery on 3 seperate occasions over a period of 3 months. First time was after a long run (50 miles). My wife usually uses car for short runs. Push started and took for a run. Car was ok for 2 weeks (short runs mainly) when same happened again. Went to car in morning, ignition lights, click from starter. Got battery load tested - ok - and charged fully overnight. Ok for another fortnight and suddenly went flat again overnight. Intermitant fault, no change from normal use, no much night driving or use of heaters etc.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there , good morning to you
Ok what year of fiesta do you have
Does the engine cooling fan seem to stay on when you switch vehicle off
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, it's a 2011. Think my wife has noticed this even after a short run.

Hi thanks
Ok the reason I mentioned this is ford released a modified cooling fan relay to prevent the cooling fan staying on constantly (this draining the battery )
Thf cooling fan will come on in some instances after switching the vehicle off as this is normal operation of these 1.6tdci variebts fitted with DPF s
This should switch off after a few minutes
If the fan is still going after 30 + mins then the Reidy should be replaced but I suspect your cooling fan relay may be ok and the fault is the battery itself from your description
The first test we would carry our would be s battery drain test this lets us see if anything Is causing a drain on the battery ie audio unit staying awake intermitently
If No drain is found on test then the fault will be with the battery
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't think it is the relay as there was still enough in battery to turn engine a little (and fan was not running) one one occasion, so not running battery down completely, more like a slow drain.

Have had load test on battery - ok

I can test for drain myself, but what are the common faults for draining battery, have heard of bluetooth module faults?

Hi there
I deal with nearly every battery issue in our dealership and almost every time the battery is the issue
Internally not holding charge even after testing ok on tester etc
The only isssue we have seen is audio unit drains usally draing around 0.15-0.25 amps after 1 hour of being locked up
Regards Brian