sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

key will not oppperate remotely to lock/unlock .can lock on

key will not oppperate remotely to lock/unlock .can lock on door. does battery need replacing in key ?

Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
If the key is a blue key then the battery isn't replaceable it is sealed and the battery is charged as the engine is running if there is a problem then the complete fob needs replacing.
Unfortunately any replacement key can only be programmed to the vehicle using suitable diagnostic equipment such as Ford IDS.
One point to check is that if the van has 2 batteries under the seat then check that both are in good condition, they need to be isolated from each other when checked to prevent a false result one of the first signs of one of the batteries failing is the key fob stops charging. Also check the fuses in the fuse box inside the van to make sure they are in good order.
I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The spare key was the one that would not work and case separates so I found that battery was a soldered in rechargeable type.

While you were answering , I took the van for a drive around the 'block' and remote then operated. I guess i'll need to take van on long drive to recharge to reliability.

Nb loop broke on other key hence use of spare

You can't get empty cases can you ?

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
no you can't get empty cases as I said the fob is designed as a sealed unit. Obviously you can open it as you have but it was never designed for this hence the rechargeable battery and it being soldered in. If the fob worked after a drive this would suggest either the battery went flat through not being used for driving or the battery is faulty and will go flat again fast.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.