JagLandyFord
JagLandyFord, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
33615967

Ihad my clutch changed on my transit connect van last year

Customer Question

Ihad my clutch changed on my transit connect van last year it now intermittently has crunching in reverse , and sometimes jumps out of 1st gear the garage says there is no problem with the clutch etc and has dropped the gearbox to get it checked although im not convinced .Have you any ideas ?.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, yes I would still like to seek the advice of a professional please that is why I paid the fee to seek an opinion from a Ford mechanic, to hopefully provide me with some additional answers as to what the problem may be .

regards Jerry

Hello Jerry,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jerry,
When the clutch failed last year - as a result of poor gear engagement - some subsequent damage has most likely occurred to the transmission mechanicals.
There are synchro measure gears which have small 'dog teeth' on them to aid with the smooth gear selection.
When a clutch is worn out - gear selection is poor and normally causes 'grinding' of these dog teeth as a result.
So 12 months later - you may still have a good clutch operation - but the damage to the teeth since the original clutch failed - has continued to deteriorate the dog teeth.
So usually the first signs of failure and no signs of improving will be when 1st and Reverse gears will not 'stay' selected. They keep 'popping out' unless you hold the gear lever in place to hold it in the desired gear.
Latter gears - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc don't usually get the same damage - as once you have the vehicle moving at speed - it becomes easier to select gears, and less strain on the synchro meshes etc.
So I would tend to agree that in this instance - you now have a concern with the Transmission mechanicals, which will require a replacement transmission or a strip and rebuild of the gearbox.
If they have removed the unit - they will be dismantling the gearbox to inspect and confirm their suspicions. Once confirmed - you should be able to request that they show you the failed / damaged components.
This will help to put your mind at ease before allowing them to continue with the proposed repairs.
I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ,thanks for your reply they checked the clutch and said it was ok, the gearbox was sent to a specialist and returned with no visible problems .They have also changed the master cylinder as well as the actuator cylinder which was changed when they changed the clutch last july after the other one burnt out.I got the van back on Wednesday but it still goes tight and crunches sometimes when going into reverse. I think my garage has run out of ideas now do you have any suggestions please ? .

regards jerry